Sonos Sub and Play:1 not joining Beam

• 16 November 2020
  • 5 replies

Badge

Hi,

Since a while now I have problems with my home cinema setup.

One day I figured out that the setup of my Sonos Beam, Sub and 2 Play:1 was listed as Living Room (?+?+?) and the Sub as well as the two Play:1 didn’t have any IP on the WiFi network anymore.

So I decided to remove the three speakers from Beam. This did work, but the speakers didn’t show up as standalone anymore and I still didn’t see any speaker gathering an IP. So I decided to reset all speakers, including Beam and rejoin them into the WiFi network.

Now they all have an IP again. So I tried to connect the Sub to the Beam again. Suddenly it time out/fails to join and I get an error and offer to retry. Retrying doesn’t help. The sub is Now part of the Beam group but gone from WiFi again (no more IP) and marked as ?. Same for the Play:1 if I try.

So, I tried to remove them again. Removing is not an issue. And I figured out that waiting for a while, the speaker gets an IP again, without resetting each time.

Retrying a couple of time didn’t work. Trying to combine both Play:1 into one Surround works. So it seems like the issue is, when I try yo join them with the Sonos Beam.

Under system I just can witness that after trying to join and the failure, that the respective speakers are gone from the list, until I remove them from the Beam and wait till they get an IP again or if I reset them if I don’t want to wait.

More infos about my setup: 2.4GHz WiFi network (and separated 5GHz network). Network gear: Ubiquitous APs, switches and Dream Machine Pro. All did work fine before and I do not know when exactly it stopped working.

Regarding Sonos, speakers are all updated and I am using S2.

Anyone had this issue before? What else to try? Any help from Sonos to make a diagnostic?

Thanks,

David

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @dla.plexure.net, thank you for reaching out to us, and welcome to the Sonos community. I appreciate your detailed post describing the issue as well as the steps that you have performed. I understand that you’re having an issue with your home theater setup. I’d be happy to help you out here if you can submit a diagnostic report of your system for better understanding and see what would be best for the setup. Reply to us with the confirmation number. We and the community are always here to help.

Badge

Hi Rowena. Thanks for getting back to me. I created two diagnotics. One with unpaired situation and sub and plays in WiFi and another one with sub failed to join the beam.

Unpaired: 509437392

Pairing sub failed: 1692777591

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @dla.plexure.net, thank you for your response and for submitting the diagnostics reports.  

Based on the diagnostic, an audio dropout was detected in your due to sync error; and your Sonos Beam was detected as a dropped room. These could be the reasons why you’re having issues adding your Play 1’s and Sub in your home theater setup. Also, Your speakers are on different wireless channels. To refresh the connections, the next step is to perform a sequential reboot of your network devices, all your Sonos products, and force close mobile controllers.

A sequential reboot means that we need to do this in order.
1. Unplug your network devices (modem, router, any wireless access points on the network) from the power and wait for 60 full seconds before you plug it back in.
2. Once the router is back online, unplug all your Sonos devices from the power. Please wait 15 seconds before you plug back them back in.
3. Force close the Sonos app from your iOS or Android device.
4. When the status light on your Sonos speakers are solid white, get back on the Sonos app and check if you're connected.

After performing the steps above and you're still experiencing the same problem, wire one speaker to your router (not your modem) and add your Play 1’s and Sub to your Beam. If the same issue will be encountered, I recommend contacting our Sonos Customer Care support to perform in-depth troubleshooting with your full network setup including the make and model of each device, and to do some tests on the Sonos app to isolate the issue.

Please feel free to reach out in the future if you have any other questions. You're always welcome here.

Badge

Hi,

Sorry I don’t get the logic of this … usually all the Sonos speakers in the living room are connected to the AP in the living room and to the same network on 2.4GHz. Thus, they are on the same channel.

The fact is, there is no Sonos Network (WM:1) and it looks like the Sonos Network is required to have multiple speakers in one configuration (home cinema).

Now I connected the Beam to the wired network and out of a sudden all speakers switched to WM: 0 (Sonos Net, right?). And look there, now the Sub and Surround Speakers are working again.

How comes the Sonos Net is not built up when Beam is in wireless? When I unplug the network cable, SonosNet is gone again and I am sitting here with speakers in the home cinema not working anymore.

What’s the difference of Beam being plugged or unplugged to the LAN? I don’t think it’s interferences or a channel thing my wireless networks nor APs are changing once I plug in the cable to Beam.

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @dla.plexure.net, thank you for your response and for updating us. According to you, your Sub and surround speakers are now working again when you wired your Beam to your router. Interference not only affects the wireless networks, even if your devices are wired. We recommend SonosNet if the issue is persistent. Also, AP’s might be broadcasting the same range of IP Address but it can interfere with other wireless devices, we advised our customer to change the wireless channels

In this situation, it would be best to understand your network setup and continue working with us over the phone to further check on this. It would be great if you can provide the make and model of your network devices to check compatibility with Sonos and how are they communicate to your network. I recommend contacting our Sonos Customer Care support to perform further troubleshooting and to do some tests on the Sonos app to isolate the issue to provide the best option for you. If you have any questions about this, If you need help with any other information, feel free to reach out. We and the community are always here to help.