SONOS Software 69.1-32100 - DHCP Offer ignored

• 13 September 2022
  • 15 replies

Hi,

I hope to find help here, because after hours of troubleshooting I’m completely lost. 😰

Since 3 days all of my speakers disconnected from the Wifi. All at the exact same time. Since then, none of the speakers were able to reconnect. While digging into the root cause of the issue, I’ve recognized, that the speakers send DHCP Discover messages and the DHCP server replies with DHCP Offer messages. After the DHCP Offer, there is never a DHCP Request message from the speakers. I’ve dumped the traffic on the DHCP Server and on the access point (Unifi U6-Lite). The packets were seen on both ends. Although I don’t see any RX/TX drops, I can’t confirm that the DHCP Offer ever reached the speaker.

The weird thing is, based on the Unifi Controller information, all speakers are assigned to the correct reserved DHCP addresses, but none of the speakers is reachable.

I’ve gone through countless troubleshooting hints within the community and Google searches, i.e. 

which describes pretty much my issue. However, my DHCP server sends two kinds of offers:

1. Broadcast (ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff)
  2. Subnet Broadcast (i.e. 192.168.0.255 (/24)

(in this order). There is no DHCP offer sent as unicast.

In despair of the situation I’ve connected on speaker (Play:1) wired to the network. This didn’t change anything, although I’ve learned, that after connecting a single speaker in the network turns on Sonosnet. 😒 This led to all speakers move to the APIPA address space. They were able to communicate to each other, but to nothing else - naturally. However, after assigning my client an APIPA address I was able to access 

http://<PLAYER-IP>:1400/support/review

Unfortunately this wasn’t really helpful - at least for me. No logs, no obvious errors, but still

contents of /proc/ath_rincon/status
Debug info for INFRA mode at 9275

Mode: INFRA (sonosnet)
Operating on channel 2437
Home channel is 2437
RF Chains: RX:2 TX:2
RF Chainmask: RX:0x03 TX:0x03
Max Spatial Streams: RX:2 TX:2
Noise Floor: -100 dBm (chain 0 ctl)
Noise Floor: -100 dBm (chain 1 ctl)
Noise Floor: -100 dBm (chain 2 ctl)
PHY errors since last reading/reset: 4038717
OFDM ANI level: 5
Ch11 Spur Immunity Level: 0
HAL Reset Failures: cnt: 0 last: 0
Region: 2

The PHY errors seem to be interesting, but I can’t figure out, what they mean.

After something between 1 and 2 hours it seems, that all wireless speakers left the Sonosnet and reconnected to my Wifi. After some time the Unifi Controller showed the correct IP address (DHCP reservation), but still not reachable.

I’m completely out of ideas how to proceed. I’m using multiple Play1, SYMFONISK and a Beam. They were running for years and I’ve never experienced an issue like that, out of nothing. There were no network or configuration change. I’ve recognized the issue after getting up in the morning.

Based on previous experiences with the (sometimes) mediocre quality of the Unifi firmware, I’m not sure whether the Unifi devices suddenly drop the packets. I’ve seen a similar behavior with the access points (especially for MDNS), but never with the Unifi switch - that’s the reason why I’ve connected a single speaker wired.

As I’m not sure if this could be related to the specific SONOS software version, I’ve added the exact version, gathered through the support review, to the title. Even if it’s related, I’m not sure how I should now be able to update the speakers, without giving them access to the internet… 😭

Hope that someone got an idea. Otherwise I will try to get in touch with the support, although I’m afraid that they will ask me to restart my router, reset Wifi, re-paint my walls and whatever they find in their consumer KB.

Thanks for any ideas.

15 replies

OFDM ANI indicates a moderate level of interference for this node.

While the latest units don’t post much data in the Network Matrix, are there any red cells?

If the node is using SonosNet, the Ubiquiti controller will not indicate any traffic for that node.

In Settings → System → About My System. A unit showing showing WM: 0 is using SonosNet, WM: 1 is using WiFi, 

Thanks for your help.

The network matrix is wildly changing on each request to the support review (different speakers show up and disappear). I saw a single red line at least once hours ago. Currently I can only find a single green and all others yellow. The colors are changing at each request as well.

Only the wired speaker shows WM: 0. All others are WM: 1. In my traffic capture I only see SSDP traffic from the wired speaker. No other speaker appears, although with About My System I can see probably the same speakers as in the network matrix, all with addresses from APIPA.

Try with a different DHCP server?

My whole network is working correctly with this DHCP server. Only the SONOS speakers suddenly show issues. Can you explain why a change of the DHCP server could help here?

My whole network is working correctly with this DHCP server. Only the SONOS speakers suddenly show issues. Can you explain why a change of the DHCP server could help here?

Simple troubleshooting 101.

If you believe there’s a DHCP interaction problem then try an alternative.

By the way, resorting to an APIPA/SonosNet island is standard behaviour if devices can’t get an IP from DHCP. Also, falling back onto WiFi -- assuming SSID/password are configured -- in the absence of SonosNet is normal. 

I suspect your network matrix was all in a flap because the L2 connections were changing between SonosNet (WM:0) and WiFi (WM:1). 

What’s strange is that when you wired a Sonos node things still didn’t work. RF interference clearly can’t be a factor there. 

What’s strange is that when you wired a Sonos node things still didn’t work. RF interference clearly can’t be a factor there. 

Yeah. That’s what letting my brain burn. I would like to know whether there are known issues with the speaker firmware, but wasn’t able to find release notes. Only the controller software is publicly available, as far as I was able to Google...in general I wouldn’t assume a general issue with the speakers firmware. Otherwise, the community would be full of threads reporting those issues. But as the speakers are the only devices in my network, which having issues getting an IP address via DHCP, I reckon that the firmware may be the root cause - maybe only in my environment.

I had several issues with Unifi and SONOS when it comes to SSDP, MDNS or multicast in general. Especially when grouping speakers. However, they always got their IP addresses via DHCP.

Simple troubleshooting 101.

If you believe there’s a DHCP interaction problem then try an alternative.

Unfortunately, it’s not that easy to replace a DHCP server temporarily. Especially with the whole bunch of reservations. I’ll consider your hint but need to think about an elegant way without breaking my whole network. Static IP reservations are necessary, because of many rules in my network firewall.

It sounds like you have other, related, constraints which could be compromising the ability of Sonos to function. 

Leaving aside temporarily the desire for reserved IPs, it surely wouldn’t take a huge effort to turn off the existing DHCP server and bolt an old router onto the subnet, containing a DHCP server configured with a suitable address pool. It might cause some collisions for a while but it should at least identify whether the Sonos devices can actually get an IP. 

Describe your Ubiquiti network in more detail. Also check for network storms. If you are using Ubiquiti access points, avoid using the LAN pass through for SONOS connections.

At least for this troubleshooting, connect only one SONOS unit to the LAN.

If the node is using SonosNet, the Ubiquiti controller will not indicate any traffic for that node.

I should qualify this a little. If you are using Ubiquiti switches, the Ubiquiti controller will show switch traffic. While there will not be any WiFi traffic to SonosNet nodes, there will be traffic through the switch to wired nodes.

As you have discovered, support/review is a static data capture. If you make a major change, allow a couple minutes for the data to settle down before refreshing.

I’m speechless. Half an hour ago my monitoring reported that all my SONOS speakers are back online again. And for sure, when opening the controller, all of the speakers are available. Without any intervention. I haven't even been at my computer. 🤔

I checked the current configuration via the controller:

Associated ZP: 192.168.100.193
---------------------------------
SYMFONISK Regal-Speaker: <PLAYER-NAME>
Serial Number: 34-7E-5C-xx-xx-xx:C
Sonos OS: S2
Version: 14.14 (Build 69132100)
Hardwareversion: 1.20.3.3-2.0
Serien-ID: A100
IP-Address: 192.168.100.212
WM: 0
Play:1: <PLAYER-NAME>
Seriennummer: 5C-AA-FD-xx-xx-xx:1
Hardwareversion: 1.8.3.7-2.1
Serien-ID: A101
IP-Adresse: 192.168.100.188
OTP:
Seriennummer: 34-7E-5C-xx-xx-xx:D
IP-Adresse: 192.168.100.213
Seriennummer: 54-2A-1B-xx-xx-xx:0
IP-Adresse: 192.168.100.215
Play:1: <PLAYER-NAME>
Seriennummer: 78-28-CA-xx-xx-xx:9
Hardwareversion: 1.20.1.6-2.1
Serien-ID: A200
IP-Adresse: 192.168.100.193
Beam: <PLAYER-NAME>
Seriennummer: 48-A6-B8-xx-xx-xx:8
Hardwareversion: 1.23.1.11-2.2
Serien-ID: A101
IP-Adresse: 192.168.100.210
Audioeingang:
Seriennummer: 34-7E-5C-xx-xx-xx:0
IP-Adresse: 192.168.100.205
Seriennummer: 34-7E-5C-xx-xx-xx:D
IP-Adresse: 192.168.100.211

The IP addresses are all correct and coming from my DHCP server. The Associated ZP is the speaker, which uses a wired connection. All the speakers seem to use SonosNet now, although the IP address is coming from my network.

To drive me crazy, my Unifi Controller doesn’t show any of the SONOS devices within the list of active devices, neither wired nor wireless. 😱

Describe your Ubiquiti network in more detail. Also check for network storms. If you are using Ubiquiti access points, avoid using the LAN pass through for SONOS connections.

Simple: 1x USW-24-G1, 1x UAP-AC-Lite, 1x UAP-AC-Pro, 1x U6-Lite

What is the LAN pass through for SONOS connections? Never heard or seen something like that in my Unifi Controller.

At least for this troubleshooting, connect only one SONOS unit to the LAN.

That’s how my setup currently is. 1x Play:1 with wired connection, all other speakers wireless.

I should qualify this a little. If you are using Ubiquiti switches, the Ubiquiti controller will show switch traffic. While there will not be any WiFi traffic to SonosNet nodes, there will be traffic through the switch to wired nodes.

This is exactly what I understood from my previous analysis and I wouldn’t expect to see any traffic for speakers connected via SonosNet.

The wired Sonos component bridges to all the SonosNet stations, so they’ll all appear through that interface.

The Associated Product/ZP is a temporary assignment for that controller. It’s the node from which the controller obtains info about the system.

tsvsj,

Make sure that the switch is using STP, not RSTP. If you use the UAP-AC-Pro’s LAN pass through port to connect to a SONOS unit, a storm is likely unless Ubiquiti has fixed this.

SONOS players suddenly appearing and disappearing from the Ubiquiti controller’s client table suggests a storm.

tsvsj,

Make sure that the switch is using STP, not RSTP. If you use the UAP-AC-Pro’s LAN pass through port to connect to a SONOS unit, a storm is likely unless Ubiquiti has fixed this.

SONOS players suddenly appearing and disappearing from the Ubiquiti controller’s client table suggests a storm.

Why should I use STP over RSTP? Afaik even in Unifi products STP is a legacy version of RSTP (to stay simple) with much less convergency.

As asked before: What is the LAN pass through port? My AC pro has 2 ports in fact. Only one port is connected via PoE injector. No SONOS speaker is connected directly to any AP. The one speaker, that is now connected wirelessly, is directly connected to my Unifi switch, with RSTP enabled. The STP state is forwarding and there are no RX/TX errors. But still, the device doesn’t show up in the list of wired clients.

My speakers don’t flap. They are constantly disappeared, since the one speaker has received it’s IP address via wired link and therefore enabled SonosNet. 

tsvsj,

I’ve never seen a clear statement that SONOS supports RSTP. That second port on the AC pro is what I am describing as the “pass through port”. I’ve seen storms when SONOS is wired to this port. The storm might be associated with one particular version of the Ubiquiti firmware. With only one SONOS unit wired, storm is not an issue.

I’m using an Ubiquiti switch as we speak, but likely a different controller. If I display clients, I can see all of the wireless clients connected through a switch port via multiple access points. For example; port #1 shows a bunch of wireless clients connecting to AP’s wired through the port. In this case the AP’s are not Ubiquiti. As far as the switch is concerned, traffic to a bunch of MAC Addresses flows through the port. The port has no idea why.