Answered

Sonos SL keeps connecting and reconnecting

• 10 April 2023
  • 6 replies

Badge +1

Hi

Have read forums but am still struggling and apologies for the ramble but am hoping this triggers something. I have a Home Theater set up with Sonos Arc, Sub Gen 3 and a pair of SLs. All was working fine for a year and half or so but have been having problems since then. The rear Left SL used to keep dropping off the surround set up. I never managed to work out what was going on as it would either remarkably join, or I would do the old “reboot router” trick and that would sometimes work I put it down to the location in my room (I have an Orbi Mesh router with the satellite being in close proximity to the Sonos). I tried to swap the rear left and rear right round and all was fine for a while until the rear Right (the old left) SL disconnected. After reading some forums I connected the Arc via ethernet to the Orbi Satellite and all looked good! I checked the Orbi and based on the ip’s all four Sonos were wired to the Orbi. 

The next today the rear right Sonos SL has dropped off again. What is even more confusing is that the Arc now appears to be on wifi, but the Sub and the rear left SL appear to be wired! On the face of things there is something wrong with the rear right Sonos SL but not sure how to resolve. Any ideas appreciated

Thanks

icon

Best answer by Stanley_4 10 April 2023, 21:51

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

I’d assign static/reserved IP addresses from your router’s DHCP page and reboot everything as a first step.

Second I’d look to get a meter’s distance between your Orbi and Sonos to keep them from blocking each other.

Badge +1

I’d assign static/reserved IP addresses from your router’s DHCP page and reboot everything as a first step.

Second I’d look to get a meter’s distance between your Orbi and Sonos to keep them from blocking each other.

Thanks will give that a go. Seems to be back online with the same ip address! Oddly the arc is showing as connected as 2.4ghz even though connected directly to the satellite whilst the others show as wired... The other observation is the speaker seems to get disconnected when a few of us are in the lounge with phones 

The other observation is the speaker seems to get disconnected when a few of us are in the lounge with phones 

Humans are basically bags of water. Water is a very effective absorber of WiFi energy. As your room fills with water bags, signal strength can become erratic as the bags move around.

Note that the water bags are likely taller than some of the SONOS components. A possibility is that the signal available to at least some of the low altitude SONOS components is weakened more than the signal to the phones. Plus, a short term signal interruption is not such a big issue while web browsing or fetching email, but the short interruptions can be toxic to audio.

SUB’s and surrounds use a private 5GHz wireless link to the ARC. 5GHz has shorter range an higher sensitivity to water bags absorption.

Finally, the gaggle of phones could be causing interference.

---

Your experience after the physical swap of left and right surrounds is a good data point. Since the issue tends to follow the speaker, we cannot rule out a hardware issue. I think it would be helpful to send a diagnostic (log the confirmation number) while the system is working, then again within 10 minutes of an “event”. Follow up with SONOS support. Network issues will leave tracks in the diagnostics.

You may have two separate issues -- one with the surround audio and another with the water bags.

Mother Nature is never fair. Why throw a single issue at you when She could burden you with multiple issues?

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Being connected to a satellite hub can sometimes be an issue, can you run a temporary wire to the main hub? 

Badge +1

Being connected to a satellite hub can sometimes be an issue, can you run a temporary wire to the main hub? 

The main hub is upstairs unfortunately. Even temporarily would be a challenge! 

Badge +1

Sadly this didn't work which leads me to believe that there must be a problem with the unit itself. Will raise a ticket with sonos unless anyone else has any ideas?