Skip to main content

I am having an interesting challenge with sonos customer support, and wanted to open a community discussion in case I’m not the only one. My customer support rep was very helpful at diagnosing the problem, but when we got to the warranty status portion of our discussion I was accused of having registered the device under my own name in 2021—which is absolutely not the case. I also don’t have a very common name, so I can’t imagine that this is some wild coincidence. I’m hoping someone has thoughts about how to best move forward.

Today, I purchased a Sonos Amp open box from Best Buy. I have two One SLs that I like quite a lot (purchased this week!), but I wanted to connect my turntable and existing speakers to the system. So I purchased the Amp. However, when I went to setup it became clear that the Amp had a fault of some kind. I contacted customer support, had a positive conversation through the diagnostic portion of the chat, but then was shocked when the customer support representative began suggesting that I was lying and that someone with my name had registered the device in 2021. This is simply not true.

As I said above, this was an open box purchase so I understand that Best Buy themselves or a previous customer may have done some setup on the device before it was set to sell as open box. However, I would never expect to be accused of previously registering a device that I purchased today. 

As discussed with my customer service representative, it sounds like I will need to call by phone and escalate this discussion to a higher tier of representatives. However, this specific issue should not be possible and this error has left me feeling very hesitant about my choice to purchase Sonos products.

Has anyone had a similar or experience, or can you recommend a good way to move forward with sonos customer service?