Answered

Sonos ray into windows computer

• 14 March 2023
  • 5 replies

Hello There, I got the Ray, i’m trying to connect it to my computer, but my computer does not have the optical port, it only has a audio type c. I bought an adapter USB AUDIO CONVERTER OPTICAL AND 3.5MM, I plug it into my type c, nothing works then I try a usb port but there is no audio coming out either, my computer does detect that there is a speaker plug it and even has the green audio lv going up, Any tips? I was going to return this but I really want to make it work. Much would be appreciated thank you.

I have a rog strix b550- e gaming motherboard

icon

Best answer by Corry P 14 March 2023, 16:35

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Note: responded to duplicate post here:

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Johnson878 

I wrote my reply to you on the PC Speaker thread before I saw your post here.

When used as an audio output, the Audio USB-C port on your motherboard actually outputs an analogue signal. This cannot be fed directly into a Ray.

I suspect the adaptor you bought might be a external USB sound card, in which case you’d want to plug it into any other USB socket on your motherboard/PC. However, if it is indeed meant for an Audio USB-C socket such as is on your motherboard, then the optical output on it should work as intended, but there can be no guarantee.

I hope this helps.

Hi @Johnson878 

I wrote my reply to you on the PC Speaker thread before I saw your post here.

When used as an audio output, the Audio USB-C port on your motherboard actually outputs an analogue signal. This cannot be fed directly into a Ray.

I suspect the adaptor you bought might be a external USB sound card, in which case you’d want to plug it into any other USB socket on your motherboard/PC. However, if it is indeed meant for an Audio USB-C socket such as is on your motherboard, then the optical output on it should work as intended, but there can be no guarantee.

I hope this helps.

So If I was to buy a Sound Card and attached it to my motherboard would that work? Thank you extremely for the help!

Overall, I think that the easiest approach for you would be Airplay 2.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Johnson878 

So If I was to buy a Sound Card and attached it to my motherboard would that work? Thank you extremely for the help!

Yes, but I’d certainly give @buzz’s suggestion a try first to see if it suffices, seeing as it is free:

Overall, I think that the easiest approach for you would be Airplay 2.

You may find the connection timeout annoying, however. This would not happen with a USB soundcard.

I hope this helps.