Answered

Sonos playbar upgrade to Sonos Beam?

• 17 January 2023
  • 3 replies

Badge +1

Hi All,

In my 2nd TV room I have a LG C7 connected to optical to a Sonos playbar (with Sonos 1 “surrounds” and Sonos subwoofer). Obviously had this for many years and now with the advent of lots of streaming material being 5.1, Atmos etc. I’m thinking of upgrading the playbar to a Beam to get the full benefit of 5.1, Atmos etc. 

The listening area is relatively small ~3m x ~3m (dining area just off kitchen).

I working on the assumption that the C7 eARC will output Atmos to the Beam (my C9 in the lounge does) and that the sonos 1 (original) / subwoofer (original) will all work? The speakers currently only work with the S1 app but the Beam is S2 - do I need to worry about that?

icon

Best answer by melvimbe 17 January 2023, 22:09

View original

3 replies

First off, your speakers should be able to upgrade to S2 just fine.  Here’s the list.  You should be able to make the change you want without a problem.

Second, the Beam isn’t completely an upgrade over the playbar.  Yes, it’s more compact and can play atmos audio, but for stereo sources, the playbar is superior.  You might not notice for that size room though.  If the Beam in your other room is Gen 2 (capable of atmos), you might want to test it out in the dining room to see if you think you need an upgrade. Also, are you watching a lot of TV with atmos content in the dining room?  

Also, it may make more sense to move your Beam over to the dining room and get an Arc in the lounge, depending on the room size.  Maybe you’ve already thought of all this already, and know that replacing playbar with Beam makes sense to you already.  

Badge +1

May have mislead a little a bit here, by the lounge I meant the C9 outputs Atmos etc. via the eARC (it’s actually going to an Anthem MRX 740 and 7.1.4 speakers with associated power amps).

The playbar is not used at all for stereo sources (I have a music setup in the same location for that), the beam would replace the playbar and yes there is a lot of Atmos and surround sound shows we watch. The jist seems to be the beam is a better option with surround sound but not an upgrade for stereo?

May have mislead a little a bit here, by the lounge I meant the C9 outputs Atmos etc. via the eARC (it’s actually going to an Anthem MRX 740 and 7.1.4 speakers with associated power amps).

The playbar is not used at all for stereo sources (I have a music setup in the same location for that), the beam would replace the playbar and yes there is a lot of Atmos and surround sound shows we watch. The jist seems to be the beam is a better option with surround sound but not an upgrade for stereo?

I have a Beam Gen 1 and had a playbar.  If the TV source is stereo or 5.1 surround, the playbar is  better.  Although, perhaps not that noticeable considering your room size.  I’m not saying Beam is bad, just playbar is wider and thus produces wider sound, if that makes sense.  I have no experience with Beam Gen 2 at atmos, so can’t comment, although I would imagine Beam wins over the playbars inability to play atmos as all.

Maybe get the Beam and hang on to your playbar if you don’t find the Beam to be a good upgrade?