Skip to main content

Sonos One SL Connection issues to existing sonos network

• 6 December 2020
  • 4 replies

I have a Sonos Bridge with 3 existing Sonos products Play 5 (Gen 1), Play 3, and Play 1. It has been working fine for many many years.

I have just purchased a new Sonos One SL and want to add it to the network. I have followed all the prompts including a reset and the closest I have reached to connecting it is that it shows the device is when it is connected via Ethernet cable and in the sonos app it asks to connect the Play 1 but holding the Play/Pause and Volume up button at the same time.  As the Sonos One SL does not have these buttons I have tried every combination of the buttons on the device with no result.

Appreciate any thoughts anyone has.

Hi @br77wa

Welcome to the Sonos community and thanks for reaching out to us. Let me share with you some information on how to completely set it up.
The screenshot you submitted showing the buttons on the Sonos Play 1 and you're right, those buttons are not present on the Sonos One SL. You can find the join button (infinity symbol) at the back of your Sonos One SL.

In the Sonos app, when you’re asked to press the buttons on your Sonos One SL and you see the buttons as you provided in the screenshot, on that same screen, please tap "I don't see these buttons" and the screen will move to the next page where you can see the join button (infinity symbol). Once you hear the chime and your Sonos One SL is linked to the Sonos app, follow the steps in the app to complete the setup.

Please keep me posted. Let me know if you face any issues, I'll be glad to help you out. 

Thank you

I had the same problems with my Sonos One SL but was getting no option that said “I don’t see these buttons”. I couldn’t get past that page as a result. I ended up putting it onto it’s own network using the S2 controller which is not what I wanted to do. Can you confirm that “I don’t see these buttons” should appear when trying to add the Sonos One SL using the S1 controller ?

Hi @humanface,

Thank you for reaching out to the Sonos community and for letting us know about your concern. Let me share some information to help you out. 

In the S2 app, when setting up a new speaker or adding a product to your existing system, it will show you the actual button of the speaker you're adding and there's no option that says "I don't see these buttons". This option should appear in the S1 app.

Here are the steps that you can perform to address this issue.

1. Force Quit the Sonos app and restart your mobile device.
  2. Unplug the speaker from power and plug it back in.
  3. Reboot the router, and physically move the player closer to the router.
  4. Go back to System and finish setting up the speaker

Let us know how you get on with the advice above and submit a diagnostic report for us to check. Just include the confirmation number in your response. 

Please keep us posted and if you have any further questions or concerns, I'll be glad to assist you.