Skip to main content
Answered

Sonos In Wall, Sub 3, One SL for 4.1 surround?

• 21 October 2023
  • 3 replies

Hi,

I’ve got 2 Sonos One SL’s that I’m currently using for a 2.0 setup with my TV.  I’m considering turning this into a 4.1 setup by adding an In-Wall Set for front speakers and moving the One SLs to the back as surrounds, and adding a Sub 3

is this possible? any gotchas I need to worry about?

Also, does this produce a “phantom” center channel (I assume through some kind of Sonos wizardry)?  Is it decent or should I consider having a 3rd in wall speaker for the center channel?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

In the years that Sonos has had this ‘phantom’ center channel, there have been no complaints from anyone that I can recall, it seems to be a good solution. 

If, however, you go with a ‘center speaker’ (without using a Sonos soundbar), your abandoning the Sonos system completely, as they aren’t ’mix and match’, and you can’t use a Sonos Sub and surrounds with  any other company’s front speakers. 

Thanks for the reply, Bruce.  If the Sonos community likes the phantom center channel, I’m sure I will too.

So the setup I propose above (1 amp, 2 in-walls in the front, 2 Sonos one SLs in the rear, and a Sub 3) should work well and integrate to produce a 4.1 sound system as I’d expect?

Many others seem to enjoy that setup, certainly. I don’t have any personal experience with it. I’d certainly always suggest in wall, and never in ceiling speakers for a home theater setup.