Answered

sonos in place of a tuner

• 23 December 2023
  • 3 replies

I currently have a Harmon Kardon speaker system (5.1) with a wireless subwoofer.  The tuner is old enough that I had to use the adapter that came with the subwoofer to get it hooked up.  

I have a Visio smart TV that connects to the tuner which is the surround sound system

I would like to replace the tuner and speakers (keep the sub) with just a Sonos system.  Plugging the TV into the Beam, Arc, or similar.  The tuner is a pain.

Can I hook up a Sonos system that will just "work" when I turn on the TV and watch XMen movies, then turn off the TV and say "Alexa, play Pink Fluffy Unicorns on my Pandora" and it will again, just "work"?

I don't ever use the tuner for radio and haven't used the DVD player in years.  

icon

Best answer by buzz 23 December 2023, 03:00

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Just to keep definitions up to date: A “Tuner” can be a separate audio component that receives radio broadcasts and nothing else, It will not connect to speakers and probably does not have a headphone jack. The Tuner must be connected to something that can drive speakers or headphones.

A “Receiver” is a general purpose audio component that connects to speakers, turntables, CD players, TV, and whatever. A receiver may have a built-in Tuner function.

Unfortunately, none of the SONOS soundbars will support a 3rd party subwoofer.

Ok.  So I have a receiver.  I want to ditch it and all the "stuff" and use the Sonos for my surround sound straight from the TV, but then finish the movie, and say "Alexa, bla bla bla ..".  Will that work...

Mostly, you can use Alexa. I don’t feel that Alexa is perfect. Hopefully, others who use Alexa as you propose will share their Alexa experience.

You’ll also need some rear speakers for the surround. This could be any of the SONOS powered speakers, but not the portables. You could also use your passive speakers, driven by a SONOS AMP. Add a SONOS SUB for increased bass. This will result in a 5.1 system.