Skip to main content
Answered

Sonos Beam2 and ERA 100 pair for surround

• 5 November 2023
  • 8 replies

Hi,

I have been spending quite a few hours trying to put my pair of ERA 100 speakers to join my beam.

1- Did try to setup wifi differently (changed channel, and alot of other settings like QoS to try to see if it was an issue with the router, but its not)

2- Did try to fix my SONOS devices ip addresses (Now my device are fixed but the problem persist)

What i observe is this:

1 - I can join my ERA 100 no problems in pair.

2- The Beam is connected through optical to my TV

3- I can unjoin the pair with no problems. (when i try to make the surround, i make sure they are not joined) 

4- I can play music on all my devices (The pair, the beam and the Symfonisk)

5- As soon as i try to “Set up Surrounds”, everything starts but at some point it never ends. On the 10 time or so i did try, only one time the setup finished with a “victory chime”. But then, my ERA speakers are “offline”, power cycling them will not bring them back up, i have to reset to factory to get them to work again. 

I am able to replicate my tv sound to the stereo pair and the Symfonisk(in an other room), so its not really a network bandwidth issue as far as i can imagine.

Any help would be appreciated, im pretty new to the SONOS product and i am relatively tech savy. Im really wondering whats going on. Hope someone can shine the light in!

-Eric

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

Are you separating the stereo pair before adding them as surrounds?  A pair cannot be added as surrounds, they must be separate.

Are you separating the stereo pair before adding them as surrounds?  A pair cannot be added as surrounds, they must be separate.

@jgatie : Affirmative.

Userlevel 7

Are any of your speakers wired to the router with an ethernet cable?

Are any of your speakers wired to the router with an ethernet cable?

No. I did try to wire the beam but it was unsuccessful.

@Eric Lauzon,

I am personally beginning to suspect your router is not allowing the ‘proxying’ of IP addresses by your Beam in this instance - it would likely work (I believe) if all devices were setup on SonosNet, but the Era 100 speakers don’t support wireless SonosNet.

As a test though, perhaps wire either your Symfonisk speaker, or the Beam to the router and reboot all your Sonos products, then just give things one more try - if it doesn’t work with the Era 100s, then just see if the Symfonisk speakers will setup as surrounds to the Beam (that’s assuming you have two identical Symfonisk speakers you can use to do this, just as a test)? If it works for the Symfonisk speakers (which do support wireless SonosNet), then I would suspect it is an IP ‘proxying’ issue and the only way I know to resolve that (at this moment in time) is to wire everything, or to change the router. My own choice would be to change the router. 

Anyhow, this is only a suspicion at this moment in time - you perhaps need to first try the things suggested and then report back.

Just to confirm, the ‘radio/wifi’ on the Beam is ‘on’, correct?

Just to confirm, the ‘radio/wifi’ on the Beam is ‘on’, correct?

@Airgetlam : Yup.

@Eric Lauzon,

I am personally beginning to suspect your router is not allowing the ‘proxying’ of IP addresses by your Beam in this instance - it would likely work (I believe) if all devices were setup on SonosNet, but the Era 100 speakers don’t support wireless SonosNet.

As a test though, perhaps wire either your Symfonisk speaker, or the Beam to the router and reboot all your Sonos products, then just give things one more try - if it doesn’t work with the Era 100s, then just see if the Symfonisk speakers will setup as surrounds to the Beam (that’s assuming you have two identical Symfonisk speakers you can use to do this, just as a test)? If it works for the Symfonisk speakers (which do support wireless SonosNet), then I would suspect it is an IP ‘proxying’ issue and the only way I know to resolve that (at this moment in time) is to wire everything, or to change the router. My own choice would be to change the router. 

Anyhow, this is only a suspicion at this moment in time - you perhaps need to first try the things suggested and then report back.

@Ken_Griffiths , unfortunately i only have one Symfonisk hence i can’t test with it, but i have good news, i was able to figure it out(i think).

The part in your reply about “IP ‘proxying’ issue”  made me think about a few things and i found some answer/pointers. While i did try a few things, i think that now if i would be resetting everything, it would probably work almost seamlessly.

Having a small buisness access point and a small business switch with some more advanced functionality than a general wifi router, i had to enable a few options to get it to fire up.

1. Use static dhcp addresses for all gear (was already set, from previous search here and there)
  2. Enable multicast on the wireless and configure a steam profile (not sure the stream profile was necessary but it look better in the controller UI).
  3. Enable multicast on the switch and configure the responder/Querier.

Even with those option on for some reason the first time that i did try to group them it failed. 

Then i reset my ERA’s again and after a while they finally joined so probably between two changes i made in the backed, they finally registered and starting to talk together.

Networking Gear:

• Switching: CBS250
  • Wireless: CBW140AC

Here is a few links i found and use to put it together, hoping this can help some people too, time to put the beat on!!!

Ref: 

Cisco Wireless and Sonos players – bourskov.dk (archive.org)
Sonos speakers on a dedicated subnet/VLAN (felix-kling.de)
The definitive (?) Sonos VLAN segregation post : r/sonos (reddit.com)