Sonos Beam Volume Control not working properly since adding IKEA Symfonsik

• 14 November 2022
  • 3 replies

Since I purchased two IKEA symfonisk devices, I have not been able to set the volume of my Sonos Beam Gen 2 correctly. When I had only the Beam, I was able to control the volume in increments of 1, from 0 to X. Now I can only set the volume of the Beam in increments of 5, for example if I manually move the slider in the Sonos Iphone app to 12 it will set itself back down to 10 a second later. If I try 14 it rounds up to 15 and so on - it also does this when using my TV remote 😤

This issue occurs when the Beam is playing ungrouped, it doesn’t seem right that I am suffering a significant decline in functionality just because I have two other Sonos devices elsewhere in my place 🙄

Any help woud be much appreciated as this issue is extremely irritating!😖

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

Hi @F-man, welcome to the Community!

I’ve never heard of the volume limiting itself to specific numbers, would you be able to provide a diagnostics of the system after setting to volume to anything except an increment of 5? 

Also, does this issue occur when the Beam is grouped with the IKEA symfonisk speakers, or does it only occur when the Beam is playing by itself? 

Hello,

I think the problem only occurs when the Beam is not grouped. 

I have sent you some diagnostics under the number 785126347.

Regards

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

Hi @F-man,

I’ve had a look into your diagnostics and can see the volume being adjusted in three separate ways, with your iPhone, the buttons on the Beam, and via Spotify.

The iPhone and physical buttons adjust the volume correctly and don’t lock it, but Spotify then takes over and sets the volume at a multiple of 5. I’ve tested in my system, with my speakers grouped and ungrouped, and I’m able to adjust the volume without it clamping to a specific value. I am on an Android, so I’m not sure if the difference is between iOS and Android. 

As the volume adjustment commands are coming from Spotify, there aren’t any troubleshooting steps I can provide. In this case I’d recommend you reach out to Spotify and their community to see if anyone there has any suggestions or troubleshooting steps. If you get the same issue with other music services, we can have a further look, but all signs point to Spotify controlling the volume adjustment.