Skip to main content
Answered

Sonos Beam sound cut out every intermittently while watching ATMOS on Netflix & TV+

• 20 December 2022
  • 6 replies

Dear Sir/Mdm

I submitted a diagnostic number 625676669

I bought a new Sonos Beam and Sub Mini last week.   Coupled with two Sonos Ones, I formed them up as surround speakers. 

When I watch movies, there are a few milliseconds of cut off sound.  This is especially obvious when watching ATMOS sound movies.   This happens low and high volume.    Meanwhile, for Dolby Digital plus and Dolby Digital, the problem seldom occurs.      

My TV is Samsung UA58R7100KXXS smart TV.   I used Sonos supplied HDMI cables.  I   

Please help to investigate and diagnose the problem.    

Shall I return the set as malfunction?

Best Regards
Ryan Lee

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

Sounds like one of your other hdmi connected devices is attempting to steal the CEC focus away from your Beam.

I would disable CEC just on any of those ‘other’ devises connected to the TV …and then power off all including the TV and Beam and leave them off for a couple of minutes and bring all back online and see if that solves the issue.

Hi Ken, 

There is only one eARC HDMI which connects to the Sonos Beam. There is no other HDMI cables connected to the TV.  

i even disconnected my Hard drive to the USB port. 

I turned off the TV and Beam. and re-turn them on. Unfortunately, the problem is still there. 

Please assist further

Regards

Ryan Lee

If you have another HDMI 1.4+ cable then perhaps swap-out the cable between the TV & Beam that’s the only other option I can think of if you have nothing else connected to the TV. 

If problem continues, then it maybe best to submit a system diagnostic and note, or post, it’s reference back here and then contact/chat with the Sonos Support Staff via this LINK and see if they can see any issues with the HT setup.

Userlevel 7

Be sure the Digital Output Audio Format setting on the TV is set to Pass-Through.

Hi all 

Thank you for all your help.  After i changed to another HDMI cable and turn on and off the whole systems, it seems working now. no more audio hiccup while watching Atmos movies.  also i removed all the USB and other HDMI connections. 

By the way, my TV does not have the Digital Output Audio Format setting to set to Pass-Through.

Anyway, it is working perfectly now.  Thank you 

Best Regards 

Ryan Lee 

Dec 2022

I’ve been troubleshooting the issue on my Samsung UN65TU display with Apple 4k TV and the Sonos Beam 2 plugged into the eARCH input and pass-through turned on (no audio processing on Samsung display). From what I can tell, it seems to have something to do with Dolby Atmos. When I turn Atmos support off on the Samsung display, the intermittent sound issue disappears. The sound bar only receives Dolby Digital 5.1 instead of Atmos. I looked in the Sonos Beam 2 settings to see if I could turn Atmos off on the soundbar but couldn’t find a setting, so I don’t know if the issue is with Samsung or Sonos. All 3 of my devices are running the latest firmware, and I have followed the steps recommend above. This seems like something Sonos should be looking into as they are selling a product that should be able to be used with reputable manufacturers.