Answered

Sonos beam not syncing to my new gaming laptop

• 14 March 2023
  • 1 reply

Badge

Greetings forum members,

I am writing to seek assistance with connecting my Sonos Beam soundbar to my new gaming laptop. I have recently purchased a new laptop and have been trying to connect it to my Sonos Beam soundbar, but I have been facing some challenges.

I have attempted to connect my Sonos Beam to my laptop through the HDMI ARC port, but I have not been successful. I have checked all the cables and ports to ensure that they are properly connected, but the Sonos Beam is still not detected by my laptop. I have also attempted to connect my laptop to the Sonos Beam through Bluetooth, but I have not been successful in this either.

I would greatly appreciate any assistance or advice that the forum members can provide on this matter. I am open to trying any potential solutions, such as updating my laptop's drivers or adjusting the settings on my Sonos Beam soundbar.

Thank you in advance for your help and support.

Best regards,

Judy

Moderator edit: link removed

icon

Best answer by Corry P 15 March 2023, 10:40

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @judywatson 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

The important point here is that laptops (or any other HDMI source devices) do not provide HDMI-ARC, only HDMI, so you cannot connect a sound-bar to them directly.

Assuming you don’t want to connect a TV to your laptop (which would provide ARC, depending on it’s age), the only way you’ll be able to connect you Beam to your laptop would be to use the provided HDMI-Optical adaptor. As laptops don’t typically provide optical output ports, however, you’d likely need to fit a USB soundcard that provided an optical output socket. You would also need to ensure that the audio settings for your laptop are configured to output to the optical port - how to do this depends on the operating system on your laptop, but info can be found on our guide:

I hope this helps.