Answered

Sonos Beam lost connection to Deco WiFi

• 23 December 2023
  • 6 replies

Hello,

My Sonos Beam lost the ability to connect through WiFi to my Deco X55 today. It works as intended with Ethernet cable connected. 

I have 4 Sonos products that all of them has been connected through WiFi. If a connect an Ethernet cable to the Beam and then to my primary deco, my Play:1s also shows up as wired connection though they are not.

The Play:3 is still connected to WiFi, if I remove the Ethernet cable from the Beam, the Play:1s connect to WiFi again but the Beam loses connection and is unusable.

This is driving me nuts to say the least as it was working this morning and all of a sudden it's not anymore. 

Has been in contact with Sonos support live chat for two hours and we did a factory reset on the Beam and it looked like it was stable until I removed the ethernet cable and the Beam lost its connection again. What to do?

icon

Best answer by Ken_Griffiths 23 December 2023, 17:23

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

It initially sounds like a faulty 2.4Ghz WiFi adapter on the Beam, or that it’s adapter has been disabled, but I would have personally thought Sonos Support would have noticed/mentioned that in your call to them?

However, if the Play:1’s are not set as HT surrounds, perhaps just see what happens if you cable one of the Play:1’s only to the Deco Primary Hub instead and reboot the Beam, does it then show up as being wired in your routers display page, as per your post above, and does it work in that wireless ‘SonosNet’ configuration?

By the way when you wired the Beam as the SonosNet ‘root’ bridge - it’s likely fine (by design) that your Play:1’s show as being wired aswell in your router display pages.

Anyhow, just see what happens when trying the above and then report back here. 

Thanks for the reply!

Will try this another day, don’t have the energy right now to start trying again.

Need to address that it’s a Deco mesh network with dual 2,4 and 5 ghz bands. Just reading up on if it’s possible to separate them and create a second 2,4 band to use for Sonos only. 

The problem started when I went into network settings in Sonos app and discovered that my old 2,4ghz network still was listed there. Removed it and boom the Beam lost connection. 

Thanks for the reply!

Will try this another day, don’t have the energy right now to start trying again.

Need to address that it’s a Deco mesh network with dual 2,4 and 5 ghz bands. Just reading up on if it’s possible to separate them and create a second 2,4 band to use for Sonos only. 

The problem started when I went into network settings in Sonos app and discovered that my old 2,4ghz network still was listed there. Removed it and boom the Beam lost connection. 

Ah so are you still running your old router with its WiFi adapters enabled? It might just be the case that the Beam has not received your Deco WiFi credentials - that’s why I asked you to wire a Play:1 to your deco primary hub and reboot the Beam as it would switch to wireless SonosNet and at least confirm the 2.4Ghz WiFi adapter was working okay on the Beam. Note the Beam only uses the 2.4Ghz band for its local network connection anyway, it’s 5Ghz WiFi adapters are used for its ‘bonded’ connection to its surrounds and any Sub etc.

No, my old Asus router isn’t used any longer, there I had separate 2,4 and 5 ghz bands. It’s not even powered up any longer. 

Bought new in march, tp-link deco x55. One of those is acting as primary node and then I have two satellites to extend network through my whole house. My primary deco is connected to wan in my media converter that has fibre in it. 

Will try wiring via primary deco to play:1 after holidays, getting late here and the wife is bored from hearing me went my frustration on it not working as it should

Sorry for late reply. I followed your suggestions and wired one of the Play:1 with Ethernet cable and resetted my Beam. When I did that both of my Play:1s showed up as wireless connected and my Beam couldn’t connect wireless to my tp-link wifi.

During installation process when it couldn’t connect to wifi it asked me to use ethernet cable instead and I did that, then I could complete installation of new device. Was asked to remove ethernet cable as final step and connect Beam to tv. Removed the cable and the Beam lost all of its connections again. Wired it again and then it connected to my tv.

Beam won’t work without ethernet cable at all it seems like. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

This may be a hardware problem. Best to call Sonos about it.