Skip to main content
Answered

sonos beam loses connection to samsung tv 55”UE55MU6470

• 23 July 2021
  • 3 replies

Set up Sonos beam to Samsung tv 21/07/22

after initial setup all was fine until around three to hours of being setup whilst watching YouTube all of a sudden it made a buzzing noise over the audio.

played music through the speakers with no interference switched back to tv and the buzzing continued only solution was to power cycle both tv and the beam and everything was fine.

today 23/07/21 after playing music then switching to tv it had totally lost connection and again only solution was to power off and on tv and Sonos beam.

after this did some digging about and discovered the it could be HDMI CEC interference

So I went to the system settings on the tv and turned off the anynet+HDMI CEC,this knocked the sound off bit when turned this back on it came straight back to life.

I am running the beam alongside a play:1 and a move and all get along famously just using the Sonos S2 app to control them.

the problem is clearly a HDMI handshake between beam and tv (it is connected via HDMI arc as per instructions with Sonos hdmi cable provided in the box)

to the other two HDMI ports I have connected a Nintendo switch and a sky plus box.

question 1

What options are available if any to stop this from happening?

question 2 

does anyone have any knowledge of the problem occurs wether turning off the anynet+ HDMI CEC feature when the sound cuts out the turning it back on wether this re establishes a good handshake again between TV and beam.

I will try if this happens again myself to see if this works hopefully it won’t!

Just saves turning off and un plugging both devices each time this occurs.

sorry for the rambling post hope it makes sense.

thanks Nathan

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

You could perhaps try switching off HDMI-CEC on your ‘other’ connected devices (Sky+ and Nintendo Switch). See if that solves the issue, and perhaps enable CEC on each one (separately) afterwards just to see if either device is perhaps causing you the issue.

If you find one of these devices are the cause, then perhaps leave its CEC control switched off. 

Note: Some devices may not allow HDMI-CEC to be switched off, in which case you could use a CEC-Less adapter to stop the device stealing CEC control, as shown in this link:

https://www.amazon.com/Lindy-HDMI-Adapter-Female-41232/dp/B00DL48KVI

One further thing, is that some TV’s have an Auto-HDMI switching feature to switch the TV input whenever a HDMI device is powered on - if that’s applicable with your TV, you may find you can switch off that feature in your TV settings. You may have to check the TV user-manual to see if such a setting exists on your TV, or maybe speak to your TV manufacturers support desk about this.

HTH

Rather than rebooting the units try momentarily interrupting the HDMI connection between BEAM and the TV. This is more of a diagnostic than a solution. If this interruption is successful, then Ken_Griffith’s CEC breaker will likely work for you. Does the issue strike after switching inputs to the TV?

With respect to the buzz, make sure that the source is sending a compatible audio format to BEAM.

Another potential work around is to use the optical connection between the TV and BEAM. This will limit your audio formats somewhat and the control will not be as slick, but it will break the HDMI/CEC/HDCP nonsense.

It hasn’t happened whilst switching between sources to my knowledge,the tv has been in standby and perhaps the sky box has into standby as they do after a while.

I have switched off the HDMI control in the sky box and the match tv power state on the Nintendo switch.

Time will tell if this helps!