Answered

Sonos Beam Gen 2 will not connect to Wi-Fi

• 23 March 2024
  • 5 replies

My Sonos beam lost connectivity to Wi-Fi but connects on Ethernet. I have tried to factory reset, spent hours on the phone to the support team at Sonos and my internet provider and cannot get it to connect. I also noticed slight almost unnoticeable gaps in audio at the time WI Fi dropped. The only thing I can think to do next is try to connect on someone else’s WiFi or my phone as a hot spot on 5g 

Any ideas gratefully received 

icon

Best answer by Corry P 25 March 2024, 13:37

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Seabraz 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

I’m sorry to hear of the issues you’ve had in trying to get your Beam connected to WiFi. I have few pointers that may help:

Sonos Home Theatre products, such as your Beam, will only ever connect to 2.4GHz WiFi because they reserve their 5GHz radios for communicating with satellites (your surrounds speakers and/or Sub(s), if you have them). So, it is important to ensure that you have not disabled the 2.4GHz WiFi broadcast from your router (I doubt that any router would do this by default, but if you have manually disabled the 2.4GHz radio yourself, please re-enable it).

During WiFi setup, it can often help to ensure that your phone/tablet is also connected to 2.4GHz rather than 5GHz. This can become an issue during setup if the router is forcing your phone/tablet onto 5GHz with “band steering” - if this is happening, it may help to separate the WiFi into two broadcasts - 2.4GHz and 5GHz - rather than one. If you only change the SSID (network name) of the 5GHz broadcast, you can set the Beam up on 2.4GHz while your phone is also connected to 2.4, then combine the two broadcasts back into one when the WiFi setup process has completed successfully. For instructions on how to do this, please consult your router manual, or contact your ISP if they supplied the router.

I recommend you keep the Beam wired to ethernet while performing WiFi setup.

Testing your Beam on other network is an excellent idea - if you use a hotspot, please be aware that you’ll need another phone/tablet to run the Sonos app. If the Beam won’t connect to that either, I would recommend that you get back in touch with our support team for further troubleshooting.

Please also note that your surrounds are now a part of a separate system from your Beam - you’ll probably need to reset those to get them working with your Beam again, though if you manage to connect the Sonos app to them, I would recommend that you reset the Beam once more instead.

I hope this helps.

Thanks for the reply. 

I did look on the router and it appeared that the 2.4ghz was disabled and tried in vain to get my ISP to double check. However I did see later that one of my smart switches was connected to it. I had previously switched it off as it was appearing as and SSID which the Beam seemed to want to connect to as a default. Hence removed that possibility. 

I will split the WiFi and see it that helps with my phone on the same SSID

Hopefully that will bring the Beam back to life otherwise I will try the neighbours WiFi next. 

Sean 

Tried splitting and same result unfortunately. Looking more likely I now have £400 door stop 😞

What did the support team say, when you called them? 

After several attempts at connecting and exchanges of info relating to my router type etc they  advised me to contact my ISP. My ISP advised that there had been no recent updates to their network or my router and they could see nothing wrong.

I have now split the network and it still will not connect except on an Ethernet connection. 

Last thing to try will be someone else’s WiFi