Sonos Beam gen 2 Sound test to confirm sound quallity issues

• 9 October 2023
  • 9 replies

Hello,

recently I started noticing degradation in sound quality on certain frequencies. The problem is it happens on a very certain range, usually sounds like outside traffic, rain or similar. The sound at those frequencies seems to be very compressed, turning almost into white noise. I am still not sure if this is a new problem but I haven’t notice it before. So I would like to test it somehow and wonder if there are any ways to test it so I can pinpoin it and be sure the problem is trully on the speaker side and not in the source. Do you know some good sources that will let me test the sound range and its quallity?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

9 replies

Userlevel 7

What??? What frequencies are you talking about? 

Sounds like some sort of wifi interference bleeding in to the signal in some manner. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Wait for it to happen and submit a diagnostic to Sonos, contact them with the number provided to discuss the issue. Sooner is better for the submission, after a few minutes the data may be gone.

I did some testing. I have my Sonos connected with the eArc HDMI to a Samsung TV. When testing some sounds, a sound of rain in particular, I found the sound going through the cabel to be inferior to the one I send over the Wi-Fi when I connect my iPhone through AirPlay. But now I have no way of testing if the issue is on my TV or on Sonos. 

AirPlay 2 would be stereo, by definition, the one sent across the cable (HDMI) potentially not. I hope you’re comparing apples to apples.

I assume this shouldn't matter since I was testing it with a sound from a YT video and they are all by default stereo? In this sound test I can clearly hear the sound to be flattened when playing it through the eArc HDMI output, for example the tapping of the drops on the windows is barely audible. The sound has also this metallic undertones to it, like when you have a highly compressed sound file. I actually tried a different HDMI output, which wasn’t eArc and that one didn't sound that broken. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Lesuzdar 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

It sounds like your TV might be re-encoding the audio on-the-fly. If your TV’s audio output format is set to Dolby Digital or PCM, try setting it to Auto or Passthrough instead.

I hope this helps.

Thank you, this seems like a good tip. Unfortunatelly my setting was already on Auto, so it probably wasn’t the issue. Or at least couldn’t be solved with a setting change. It seems more and more that it is a mlafuncion on the TV side as streaming to Sonos over the phone sounds undisturbed.

I assume this shouldn't matter since I was testing it with a sound from a YT video and they are all by default stereo? In this sound test I can clearly hear the sound to be flattened when playing it through the eArc HDMI output, for example the tapping of the drops on the windows is barely audible. The sound has also this metallic undertones to it, like when you have a highly compressed sound file. I actually tried a different HDMI output, which wasn’t eArc and that one didn't sound that broken. 

The vast majority of YouTube videos are PCM stereo, regardless of what they are listed as.  It can have Dolby Atmos plastered all over it, it’s still only stereo.