Answered

Sonos beam Gen 1 HDMI doesnt work

• 14 September 2023
  • 3 replies

Hi

I invested Sonos Beam Gen 1 one year ago for my PC (I use a sound card to connect beam with my PC). It worked smoothly for 3 months and after it doesn’t work anymore. I thought maybe the soundcard had a problem but I tried another and it had no sound coming out of the Beam. I tried to change Sonos optical audio adapter but it gave me the same results as previous attempts. I don’t know what is happening with my Beam.  

icon

Best answer by Corry P 18 September 2023, 13:53

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Sonos is looking for an HDMI ARC signal, is it possible that updates to the firmware on your PC Cards turned that off? Particularly in the case of a Beam, gen 1, it cannot process Atmos signals, so needs to be fed something more restrictive. Have you called Sonos Support directly to discuss it?

When you speak directly to the phone folks, they have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your Sonos system and network.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Did the PC decide to send DTS? Which is not supported on the Gen 1 Beam.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @thaohoang 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

When using HDMI, Beam must be connected to a TV/projector that provides HDMI-ARC. A direct connection to a graphics card will not work (no graphics cards supply HDMI-ARC, and no soundcard has HDMI, as far as I am aware). Therefore, if connecting Beam to a PC directly, the optical adaptor must be used.

I think the most likely explanation for lack of sound is the incorrect interface selected for use in Windows - please ensure your S/PDIF output is selected in Windows’ sound settings.

Though, if the format is not Dolby Digital, DTS or PCM, you may still have problems getting sound. DTS is supported on all S2-running Home Theatre devices, including Beam Gen 1, but you are only likely to see it if playing a movie and have Passthrough enabled in the codec settings.

I hope this helps.