Question

Sonos Beam connected to TV with HDMI ARC with internet?

• 22 April 2020
  • 4 replies

Hello,

Just a day ago my beam stopped working (could nog connect to internet).

I thought my beam was connected via HDMI and was having internet from the HDMI cable on my TV. Trying to fix this issue kept me busy because I could nog get it fixed using internet over HDMI cable…! 

Does the beam connects to HDMI using internet or was it just my wifi connection wich worked when I unplugged the cable… 🙈?

Hope someone can solve this case!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Userlevel 7

Hi @bramschats 

The Beam does not use the HDMI-ARC cable to connect to the internet via a TV. If the Beam was showing no internet connection there is a problem with your Wi-Fi signal. 

Try:

1. Unplugging the Beam and any other Sonos products.
  2. Reboot your router.
  3. Power cycle your iOS or Android device.
  4. Plug in your Sonos 1x1 and let each come back B4 moving to the next.
  5. Test your Sonos (Beam) 

Also, The Beam uses HDMI-ARC (CEC) to communicate with a compatible TV with a HDMI-ARC (CEC) port. If your TV does not support HDMI-ARC (CEC) you must use the optical adapter (supplied with the Beam) and connect to your TV via it’s optical out port.

Cheers!

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Also, The Beam uses HDMI-ARC (CEC) to communicate with a compatible TV with a HDMI-ARC (CEC) port. If your TV does not support HDMI-ARC (CEC) you must use the optical adapter (supplied with the Beam) and connect to your TV via it’s optical out port.

Cheers!

No. CEC and ARC are two different things related to HDMI. CEC is for control (power on/off, switching inputs), ARC is the audio return channel. They are independent features, many TVs have CEC and no ARC, though it is likely rare that there are any that do ARC but no CEC.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Actually i learnt yesterday that ARC requires CEC, for signalling. eARC, the much more advanced version, not supported by Sonos (yet?), does not require CEC.

I was always under the assumption, with no research to back it up, that HDMI-ARC was a subset/extension of HDMI-CEC. You couldn’t have ARC without CEC, but you could have CEC without ARC. Nor have I looked in to eARC to see if it’s another extension of the CEC, or a separate thing. Maybe I should do my non-professional, non-coder research. ;)