Answered

Sonos Beam behind TV in Niche

• 23 February 2024
  • 3 replies

I would like to have the option to run our Samsung Frame TV sound through our Sonos ceiling speakers/Play 5. Our Sonos ceiling speakers are set up via amps in the basement and I zero technical ability, trying to hard wire anything is out of the question for me. Is it absolutely ridiculous to get a Sonos Beam and put it in the niche behind our Samsung Frame TV to allow me to set up the sound to come through the speakers? Will the Sonos Beam be totally useless behind the TV (I could in theory pull the TV away from the wall if I want to hear the sound a bit)? I cannot find any other work arounds for what I am hoping to do. 

icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 23 February 2024, 18:33

View original

3 replies

Putting any obstruction, including a TV set, in front of any speaker, Sonos or otherwise, just doesn’t make any sense. You’d be blocking the sound waves emanating from the speaker.

You could conceivably connect your Sonos Amp to the TV, and have the Sonance (I’m assuming here, Sonos doesn’t make in ceiling speakers, but they do sell Sonance in ceiling speakers) as front right and front left, and the Amp will use those two outputs to create a ‘faux’ center channel. A pair of PLAY:5 gen 2 speakers could then be bonded as surround speakers, but not just a single PLAY:5 gen 2. 

Thank you very much - and sorry, my misspeak, the in ceiling speakers are an unknown generic speaker, set up to the Sonos amps located in my basement on a rack.

No worries. The challenge then, in my suggestion, is wiring the TV to the Amp, since they aren’t near to each other.  If memory serves (and I’m old, it could be faulty), the maximum length for HDMI ARC is 75 feet. It’s possible that running a cable from your TV to the Amp is a non starter. 

I’d really be looking at a way to place the Beam in front of the TV set. Perhaps raising the TV set so it fit. I used to use hockey pucks, then moved to stacked IKEA shelves on my TVs to raise them enough to slip the Sonos ‘under’ them.