Answered

Sonos Beam & 2 surround sonos play 1 speakers

• 16 November 2022
  • 9 replies

Badge

I only get surround sound when I watch a freeview channel direct through my Sony tv. When I watch a programme through my BT box or my Xbox, I only get the sound from the sonos beam, not the 2 surround speakers. Does anyone know how I can resolve this issue?

Thank-you. 

icon

Best answer by Jamie A 23 November 2022, 10:26

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

Hi @Virgil,

It sounds like the BT Box and Xbox may not be set on the correct audio codec/format to send surround audio. What is the model of the Sony TV you have?

Can you play using the BT Box or Xbox then submit a diagnostics and reply here with the confirmation number?

Badge

Hi Jamie,

Thanks for trying to help. My Sony tv is Model No: KD - 49X7052. I’ve just sent you a diagnostics - the number is 1351661487.

Thanks,

Stephen

Badge

Hi Jamie,

I’ve sent you another diagnostics test just in case the previous one was not helpful. The number is 1485806344.

Thanks,

Stephen

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

Hi @Virgil,

In the diagnostics I can see that the the ARC Status is showing as ‘Incorrect Mode’, so it seems like you’ll need to adjust the settings on the Xbox and BT Box. Let’s make sure the Xbox is configured correctly first.

I’ve found these steps on the Xbox support website for connecting Xbox to your Home Theater:

1. Press the Xbox button to open the guide.
  2. Select Profile & system Settings > General > TV & display options > TV & OneGuide > Audio & video.
  3. Change the audio option from Stereo to Surround sound.
  4. Select Restart now. Your console will restart and enable surround sound from your console to your TV or AV receiver.

If this helps, then you’ll likely need to perform similar actions with the BT Box.

Badge

Hi Jamie,

I made the changes but it hasn’t fixed the issue unfortunately! Just to confirm - as well as the HDMi cable from the Sonos Beam that goes to the HDMi Arc input on the tv, I also have HDMi cables from the xbox & the BT box to the tv - I wondered if I also need a cable to the HDMi IN socket on the xbox? The BT Box doesn’t have any spare sockets except one usb input. Not sure what to try next!

Regards,

Stephen

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

Hi @Virgil,

That’s how I’d recommend connecting those devices, everything should go into the TV as it will be able to process and send the appropriate audio signals to the Sonos Beam.

In the Diagnostic the surrounds are operating on 2.4Ghz, when they should be on 5Ghz. A reboot would help resolve this and get them back onto 5Ghz unless your router settings have been adjusted. If you power the Beam and surround speakers off for a few minutes, then power them back on, with the Beam being powered on first, do you get surround sound using the Xbox or BT Box?

It’s a very strange issue, usually you would get no surround audio or you would get surround audio, rather than a split. If the settings on the Xbox and BT Box are set to Surround instead of Stereo and a reboot doesn’t resolve this, I’d suggest reaching out to our support team as they have to tools necessary to troubleshoot this issue.

I hope this helps!

Badge

Thanks, Jamie. I still haven’t been able to resolve the issue despite spending almost 2 hours online with someone from support! They have suggested I contact Microsoft Xbox to see if they can help.

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

Hi @Virgil

I would think it’s more a TV issue, so it may be worth checking with Sony first as some TVs can’t pass 5.1 signals from external sources which seems to be what’s happening with you.

In the manual for your TV, is says it can pass Dolby Audio via HDMI ARC, but doesn’t say whether or not this is stereo or surround.

I’d suggest reaching out to Sony support to make sure everything is okay with your TV and that it actually is capable of passing the audio through HDMI ARC, then contacting Microsoft if Sony says everything is fine. 

If you resolve this, feel free to come back here and post it as a reply in case someone else has a similar issue. 

Badge

Thanks, Jamie. I’ll contact Sony and let you know how I get on!