Sonos Arc sounds flat

• 23 January 2024
  • 13 replies

Userlevel 1

Previous speaker before the Arc was a Bose Sounddock 10. The highs were brilliant, and needless to say, big on bass.

I believe I installed the Arc correctly. The TV is a Hisense A4 65”
The apartment room is L shaped, and large. TV is on a table top against a wall. The Arc was originally places directly in from of the TV. The lower edge of the TV is about 4” higher than the table.

I’ve tried the EQ settings to boost the highs. It did help somewhat.

Now I have the Arc on the floor in front of the table, it sits about 24” from the wall. I think it’s an improvement.

Am considering purchasing 2 Era 300 speakers.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

13 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @inWellington 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

I’m sorry to hear that your new Arc doesn’t have satisfactory sound, but there are a few things we can try to improve matters.

First, please raise the Arc up off of the floor and back in front of the TV - this will make it easier to determine if the next steps help or not.

If you are as unhappy with the Arc’s sound when playing music as when playing TV then you can skip this step, but it may help to reboot the TV by unplugging it from power for at least a minute.

Please also reboot the Arc by unplugging from power, if you haven’t tried already.

If nothing has improved, the next step will require setting things up all over again as if the Arc were just unboxed, though you can of course use your existing Sonos account when setting up the app again. Please follow the steps outlined on our Reset the Sonos app and Reset your Sonos product help pages. Once both pages have been followed, your Arc should have a flashing, green light (if it does not, please try the reset product steps again, exactly) and the app, once it’s restarted and you skip through the welcome pages, should be asking you if you want to Set up a New System, or Connect to an Existing System. Please choose the former option to set up your Arc from scratch, and go through all the steps the app provides.

If that has not improved the sound quality of the Arc to your complete satisfaction, I recommend you get in touch with our technical support team who will take you through your product replacement options.

I hope this helps.

Userlevel 1

Thank you Corry P. I will do as you suggest and will get back to you.

An odd thing with the Sonos App on my Huawei Mate 20 Pro (Android), is there seems to be some features missing, or I can’t find them. For example, I can’t find the EQ page. Am able to find everything on my Windows 10 device. Nor can I get back to the Music page. All I’m able to do is adjust the volume, Speech Enhancement, Night Sound. Under the word “TV” it says Dolby Digital Plus 5.1.Nor am I able to put music in the Queue. This time I’ll install the Arc from my Windows PC where everything is available to me. Thanks for putting up with me.

Userlevel 7

Hi

@inWellington

A computer cannot be used to setup a Sonos speaker. Also placing the Arc on the floor is not recommended under any circumstance.

After setting up the Arc correctly and placing it in front of the TV as you did originally you may try using Trueplay. However, it will require you borrow an iPhone temporarily. The iPhone will have to be setup with  Sonos as if it were your main controller. You can delete the account after using Trueplay.

Purchase of Era 300’s…

Even before the launch of the Era 300’s the biggest improvement for the Arc (other than Trueplay) was to add a sub. The sub  handles the low-end frequencies allowing the Arc focus on mids and highs more efficiently. Truth be told (IMO) the Arc has never been a product to produce a significant amount of low-end.

Userlevel 1

Hi AjTrek1, thanks for getting back to me before I begin the Install. Yes, I read that installing via iPhone. Wondering if I can install using an iPad? I don’t know anyone who owns an iPhone.

Userlevel 1

Never mind, AjTrek1, I did a search and discovered that I can. I’ll give it a try.

Userlevel 7

@inWellington 

The iPads in the link do not support TruePlay but can be used to install Sonos.
https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/trueplay-compatible-devices-and-sonos-products#

Userlevel 1

I saw that list. My wife’s is iPad air 2. 2014-ish.

It installed exactly the same as it did using the Android version. Trueplay didn’t load during the install. Nor is it available on the App Store. The audio is the same. Looks like I’m dead in the water...

I have an iPad Pro, 11 inch, 4th generation, and TruePlay shows up as an option in the room settings for me. Settings>System>Room Name and scroll down to Sound, it is the item below EQ, just above Volume Limit. 

TruePlay is not a separate app. It is part of the controller, you don’t download it separately. 

Most of my rooms are not TruePlayed. To me, it’s more often a marketing ‘gimmick’, and not a requirement, if you place your speakers properly. I have found that it can help (slightly, IMHO) in cases where speaker placement is not ideal, but is nowhere near a requirement. 

Userlevel 7

I saw that list. My wife’s is iPad air 2. 2014-ish.

It installed exactly the same as it did using the Android version. Trueplay didn’t load during the install. Nor is it available on the App Store. The audio is the same. Looks like I’m dead in the water...

OK…something’s not quite right.🤔 If the Sonos app loaded with features missing as you indicated was the case on android….then…

Is the iPad running at least iOS 14 which Sonos S2 requires.

Trueplay doesn’t install as a separate feature (so to speak) and it’s not available on the App Store. True play is part of the Sonos app.

If all the above is in place what error messages do you get?

Userlevel 1

Well, I’m now a SONOS believer. I opened the sonos app on the iPad, and Trueplay app magically opened. I followed the instructions, wandering around the room, Sonos did its magic and it sounds terrific. I want to thank those who guided me into success.

I’ll be back for your good advice when I upgrade to additional Sonos products.

Best regards from Wellington, ON

Paul.

Userlevel 1

Update:

I ordered the Sonos Subwoofer (the big job).

When it arrives, should I redo the “Trueplay” program on the iPad?

Once it is installed, yes. Any time you change the speakers in a room, it erases the previous TruePlay setup. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Before you do the Trueplay plug the Sub into an extension cord and try moving it around the room and listening from your most common locations.

Pick the best sounding spot your spouse will allow, then Trueplay.