Sonos Arc loud pop then audio loss

Show first post

1200 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

I've only had the problem with my Xbox Series X so far and I've had it a number of times. Today I was able to reproduce it every time I played Forza 5 and then went to the dashboard. A few seconds later there was a loud bang and the LED on the arc burned orange. So I decided to turn off Dolby Vision because I've also read this here in the chat that it's supposed to help. I couldn't believe it, but in the Xbox settings I just unchecked "allow dolby vision" and "dolby vision for gaming" and since then I haven't been able to reproduce the problem. maybe it's just a coincidence, but when I had Dolby Vision active, the bang came every time in connection with Atmos. But this means doing without Dolby Vision and “only” using HDR10.

This has worked for me without fail.  Remember that there aren’t very many games that natively support DV, so to me most games really dont do much more than HDR does anyway.  Atmos sound is far more valuable to have than DV at this stage

I’m glad it works for you. As I mentioned above it happens with HDR10 without fail every time in my case. 

Sonos needs to fix this nonsense

As I said, I have to test this over a longer period of time, but yesterday evening it banged continuously with Dolby Vision and atmos and after I switched to HDR it didn't anymore. I have tested with HDR for a maximum of 30 minutes so far.

has unfortunately settled again. Just as Forza 5 went into the game, there was a loud bang... Whether it's HDR or Dolby Vision, it doesn't matter.

I’m sorry to hear that. 

Not that I’m willing to disable HDR but has anyone experienced this with SDR?

updated my Apple TV 4K to tvOS 17… so far no popping… let us pray 🙏 

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

Beta?

Userlevel 2
Badge

I would be happy for you, but I don't think tvOS17 will change anything. I think Sonos needs to do something here. It really just seems to be about Dolby Atmos MAT and they should find the bug. Because Dolby Atmos (DD+) works perfectly.

I would be happy for you, but I don't think tvOS17 will change anything. I think Sonos needs to do something here. It really just seems to be about Dolby Atmos MAT and they should find the bug. Because Dolby Atmos (DD+) works perfectly.

You're right cause my PS5 plays DD+ blurays with no issue.

Beta?

yup

Nevermind.. its back with a vengeance… back to 4k Firestick I go 😩

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

Nevermind.. its back with a vengeance… back to 4k Firestick I go 😩

Im actually a bit relieved as Xbox also acts up and if it’s on their end I’d say there’s zero hope of a fix. 

Well, time for Sonos to step it up. 

Engineers are paid the big bucks. Time to earn it. 

Especially if it is not a Sonos issue, but something upstream sending a ‘pop’ signal to Sonos, which is just playing it as instructed to by the CEC system / decoder in the TV set, or the MAT encoder in the device itself. 

Come on, Sonos, you have control over all the other companies in the world that are part of the CEC alliance, and control their engineering time, right?

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

Especially if it is not a Sonos issue, but something upstream sending a ‘pop’ signal to Sonos, which is just playing it as instructed to by the CEC system / decoder in the TV set, or the MAT encoder in the device itself. 

Come on, Sonos, you have control over all the other companies in the world that are part of the CEC alliance, and control their engineering time, right?

Stop making excuses for them. 

Sonos released a product that isn’t capable of handling a format of Atmos that is used by two or more of the largest devices on the market. We’re not talking about some off the wall streaming box but rather an Xbox and Apple TV. If Sonos is going to sell an Atmos enabled product they must work as an Atmos enabled product as a whole. 

You are defending a company that hasn’t even come out and said what is going on. They won’t say if it’s on their end or someone else’s publicly. They released Atmos speakers (Era 300) knowing all about these issues yet still no mention as to what’s going on. 

This is on Sonos. As a home theater installer I’ve had several clients call me regarding their Atmos system making a loud popping noise. Every single one of them is using Sonos. Not one of my clients using Bose, Samsung, Sony or LG have complained and many have an Xbox or Apple TV. I’ve also never heard from clients with high end receivers running an Atmos setup. 

Badge

Welp. Just started having popping issues with my arc. Started with a few very loud pops during the Apple Keynote, which to no surprise, was using Dolby. Have also started having this when using Xbox, which according to this thread is also not surprising. Really disappointed, as I have only had it for a few months now and never had any issues during the return period.

My setup includes:

- Arc + Symfonisk Surrounds + Sub Mini
- LG C2 OLED
- Apple TV & Xbox Series S

I tried turning off CEC and power cycling with the TV and Apple TV, which seemed to help for a while. But came back on the Xbox as soon as I switched over. Guess I will also disable CEC on the Xbox and try again. 

It's wild that this has been going on for so long with no solution. Makes me kind of regret getting into Sonos, after loving it for so long. 

Userlevel 3
Badge

Tomorrow is the 3 year anniversary of the Sonos Arc. At this point, I’m chalking this up as an inherent design flaw of the Arc and that this issue won’t be resolved until the release of the Arc 2. If it hasn’t been fixed by now, it probably never will…

Userlevel 2
Badge

Tomorrow is the 3 year anniversary of the Sonos Arc. At this point, I’m chalking this up as an inherent design flaw of the Arc and that this issue won’t be resolved until the release of the Arc 2. If it hasn’t been fixed by now, it probably never will…

Unfortunately, that's exactly how I see it. I really don’t know what I should do. I'm on the verge of selling all Sonos products, simply because I don't think Sonos is bothered to solve the problem.

Userlevel 3
Badge

Unfortunately, that's exactly how I see it. I really don’t know what I should do. I'm on the verge of selling all Sonos products, simply because I don't think Sonos is bothered to solve the problem.

I don’t blame you for thinking about selling. I still enjoy my Sonos system overall, but having deficiencies when watching Atmos content is very disappointing.

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

Maybe. 

But if that’s true they sold a product as Atmos certified only for it to be incapable of doing so. I don’t care if it only has issues with MAT. It’s their responsibility to release a product that works as described. It doesn’t say “incompatible with MAT” which puts them as the accountable party in these issues if it cannot be fixed. 

The funny part is I have yet to experience this on an Apple TV 4K even when using Dolby Vision and Atmos on both my Arc and Gen 2 Beam. It’s only been my Xbox. I’m sure it’ll happen on my Apple TV soon enough but I don’t understand why I’ve had the issue with Xbox but not Apple yet. 

Userlevel 2
Badge

The funny part is I have yet to experience this on an Apple TV 4K even when using Dolby Vision and Atmos on both my Arc and Gen 2 Beam. It’s only been my Xbox. I’m sure it’ll happen on my Apple TV soon enough but I don’t understand why I’ve had the issue with Xbox but not Apple yet. 

I operate my Apple TV in the bedroom, but I also had it in the living room on my ARC and couldn't find the problem. But I think that's because most of the movies and series I streamed had no atmos at all. Most of the time they only have atmos on the original soundtrack. I'm from Germany and I always look at German audio and this is usually "only" Dolby Digital 5.1 Plus

Userlevel 6
Badge +5

But if that’s true they sold a product as Atmos certified only for it to be incapable of doing so. I don’t care if it only has issues with MAT. It’s their responsibility to release a product that works as described. It doesn’t say “incompatible with MAT” which puts them as the accountable party in these issues if it cannot be fixed. 

I don’t know if you even want to do this to yourself, but the most reliable method I have for triggering the pop is to fire up the “Hits in Spatial Audio” playlist on Apple TV Music and letting it run. Almost always pops within 30 minutes. But you can just let it go while you’re not even in the room and return to it later checking if the Arc has entered the “on but no sound” state after a pop.

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

I’d rather not, lol. 

Userlevel 2

Hello there, beautiful people of this nefarious and long thread. Life´s too short and SONOS customer care, engineers and everyone involved at least for the matter that gets us here, are a bunch of AH that couldn´t care less of us and our “new problem that just developed and OMG our engineers just heard about and OMG we have them in our dungeons with no food and little to drink until they solve this ultra new and rare issue for you, our beloved customers”, so I took a very nice offer that SENNHEISER recently had on their website and now I can happily say I can actually hear whatever I like without any popping, banging, ringing or whatever. Super rare that the APPLE TV and the PS5 no longer have any issues and work as they´re supposed to...super super rare. I still don´t know what to do with the POS soundbar that now lies quiet and still in the cold hard floor of the guest room, I can´t resell it without any guilt. I took the legal action but I know it´s gonna take a looooooooong for that to even start with the first hearings. I wish you all well and hopefully someone at SONOS has a sudden attack of conscience and guilt and actually does something or at least comes clean and says “you´re right, this thing will not work on...”. I´ll keep you posted on the legal action. Have a good one.

Userlevel 6
Badge +5

@Cavecanem just to clarify for slower folks like myself: all you changed was Sonos Arc to Sennheiser Ambeo and the pop is gone?

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

@Cavecanem just to clarify for slower folks like myself: all you changed was Sonos Arc to Sennheiser Ambeo and the pop is gone?

Wow, that’s amazing! Who would have thunk?!

Userlevel 2

Correct. Since the AMBEO has 4 HDMI ins I played a little to se if it changed anything or something happened. First all connected to the TV and TV to soundbar…nothing, all ok. Then I did it the other way around…nothing, all ok. I left all connected to the soundbar and works like a charm, all CEC enabled and working smooth like mountain fresh snow.

Userlevel 2

Wow, that’s amazing! Who would have thunk?!

Xmas miracle in June.

Userlevel 6
Badge +5

I may not have $1,700 to drop on another sound system. But I am genuinely happy for you that you can now enjoy Atmos without the constant dread of a Sonos Pop on your mind.

For now I have to hold out hope that Sonos will do right by us. 

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

It is time Sonos sorted this Dolby Mat issue for Apple TV and Xbox out, I can use the HDFury Arcana which does fix the issue. But sadly it introduces other issues with my Samsung Qled.

Beam Gen 2 user