Skip to main content

good morning,
I use the sonos ARC connected to a recent samsung oled tv in eARC.
I have an android box and I use plex the problem is that the films which are in formats 5.1 HE-AAC the sound is very weak, I am obliged to put the volume at 60-70%, I tested with a film 5.1 AC3 I do not have problem the volume is 30-40%.
I tested with another VLC application, and the problem is the same.

Everything is set in passthrough

thank you

Translated with DeepL.com (free version)

Hello It is since the last update AAC format have a very weak sound.

thank you 

When I deactivate and reactivate the cec the problem is solved but comes back after reboot. 

Moderator edit: Combined posts

Hi @max70 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

And apologies for the delay - we have been a bit busy recently!

HE-AAC is not a format that is supported via HDMI/Optical connections to Sonos devices (you can see the list of supported formats here). If you have Passthrough enabled, then either Plex or your TV is converting the format to one that is supported (otherwise, you’d get silence).

You may be able to instruct Plex to perform the conversion instead, if it is the TV that is doing it now. Plex may even have an option to boost the volume during transcoding process, though it has been a while since I was last looking at Plex settings!

I hope this helps, or at least gets you going in the right direction.

Ok after last update. Thx

Hi @max70 

I’ll be honest - I was not expecting to hear that! I’m glad it’s sorted now though - thanks for updating the thread!

Hi @max70 

I’ll be honest - I was not expecting to hear that! I’m glad it’s sorted now though - thanks for updating the thread!

Hello
yes I don't understand how the problem is solved either, but I can confirm that AAC and HE-AAC work well in passthrough on plex and passthrough on the sansung tv. 
When I play a HE-AAC movie, I see PCM multichannel 5.1 in the sonos application. 
the sonos arc is in version 79.0-52294
The mobile version is in : 80.00.05

thx

I've just tested AAC 7.1 and I'm in PCM 2.0

I've just tested AAC 5.1 and I'm in PCM multicanal 5.1

I've just tested HE-AAC 7.1 and I'm in PCM 2.0

I've just tested HE-AAC 5.1 and I'm in PCM multicanal 5.1

Hi @max70 

For the formats where you see PCM Multichannel 5.1 reported in the app, that is expected and exactly what you want to see.

When you’re getting PCM 2.0 instead of 7.1, I think this will be a limitation or a setting of either the Plex server, or the TV. Try telling Plex to downmix to 5.1, if you can - if it’s the TV doing it, that should prevent it.

I hope this helps.

Edit: To be clear, I don’t know if downmixing is an option in the Plex server’s settings, but if it is, it should fix the issue you’re seeing.

Hi @max70 

For the formats where you see PCM Multichannel 5.1 reported in the app, that is expected and exactly what you want to see.

When you’re getting PCM 2.0 instead of 7.1, I think this will be a limitation or a setting of either the Plex server, or the TV. Try telling Plex to downmix to 5.1, if you can - if it’s the TV doing it, that should prevent it.

I hope this helps.

Edit: To be clear, I don’t know if downmixing is an option in the Plex server’s settings, but if it is, it should fix the issue you’re seeing.

ok thank !!!