Sonos ARC eARC connected music control does not work

• 30 May 2023
  • 2 replies

Remote control will not control SONOS played music volume

From everything I have read I went two steps forward and one step backwards.  I had the playbar and LG OLED55E6 connected via Optical.  The remote volume controls worked for the TV and for offline music when the TV was off.

Upgraded to a new LG OLED65C3 and Sonos ARC. The TV and ARC work beautifully together.  However now I understand there is no way to control the ARC for music volume via the LG Magic remote.  Yes I can ask Alexa to adjust volumes but it sure was nice to grab the remote and turn music volume down when the phone rings or company is in the room .  Now I have to scramble for a phone or command Alexa to control the volume.

Not sure why SONOS did not engineer a way for a RF remote to work via CEC and direct when CEC is inactive.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

CEC is used to control the volume via eARC, does not require IR (or RF) from your TV remote. Check your TV settings, and in the Sonos app check the settings for your ARC (disable use IR, maybe re-run Remote Control setup).

I guess you did not understand.  TV volume control works perfectly via eARC/CEC.

The TV remote will not control Sonos ARC volume for music playing via the Sonos app.  The Remote Control setup will not recognize the Magic Remote.  Also if you disable use IR you cannot run Remote Setup.

According to Sonos Support this is a limitation for CEC setup