Sonos Arc dialogue levels low VS Music and Action very high

• 5 December 2023
  • 5 replies

I read many post about Sonos Arc dialogue levels low VS Music and Action very high. I turned off loudness and speech enhancement on. Did trueplay multiple times. I have to continuously keep changing volume + for dialogue and - or other action / music scenes. Any idea how to fix it and level (balance) the overall volume.  Still not enjoying the overall stage like Boss, wish i had return it during the return time frame.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Frankly, I don’t think it’s Sonos that’s the issue, assuming your system is receiving at least a Dolby Digital or Atmos signal, it’s the source mixing of the signal. 

What are you watching? What kind of signal is the Sonos Arc receiving? 

Possible, I have Sony OLED (running android TV) I face this mainly on Netflix / HBO / Hulu (watching dolby atoms content). 

Badge +4

My problem is the opposite. The only part of the soundtrack that seems to be loud is the dialogue. The rest seems to be very subdued. Front left, right and surround seem very quiet. In general dialogue is loud and background noises etc very quiet. Could it be some problem in the processing? I’ve done Trueplay many times, both with iPhone and iPad, switched to ethernet connection but still the same. I’m watching streaming apps and Blu-ray/4K Ultra HD.

@parthv1 actually, I wasn’t so much interested in what you were watching than I was in what the Sonos says it was receiving from your TV set. Your concerns about low volume on the center channel are consistent with both poor mixing of the source, which Sonos can do nothing about, and a stereo signal being sent to the Sonos, which we can likely suggest ways to alter. So knowing what kind of signal is being received by Sonos is paramount. There are some TVs out there that just won’t pass an appropriate signal to the Sonos, so it may be helpful to know model of your Sony TV as well. 

@PG80 , since your situation is opposite, I’d suggest looking in the room settings for your home theater room in the Sonos controller, and adjusting the balance between the front and surround speakers. TruePlay helps some in this case, especially for placement, but Sonos is still at the whim of the mix being received, and our individual perceptions about what is ‘right’. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

From my trying different things it is clearly the source material that is the problem, mostly not loud enough here.

While it isn’t Sonos’ problem having a center-only volume adjustment would let us correct for it (up or down) like we could do back when we had clunky old AVRs and wired speakers.