Answered

Sonos Arc cutting out when watching TV

• 12 January 2023
  • 1 reply

Good evening,

Not had this issue before, but the Sonos Arc, Sub and 2 x Sonos SL cuts out when we’re watching TV.  SkyQ, AppleTV, Plex, doesn’t seem to make much difference the source.  It’s also pretty random, we can watch an episode on Amazon Prime and then the next it cuts out.

Don’t have cutting out issues with any other Sonos units when listening to music or watching another TV with the Beam unit.

Had been happy with Sonos, but growing pretty frustrated over it due to the amount of spend £££.

All units are hardwired and wifi is disabled on the units.  This has always been the case, so why problems now.

Any suggestions apart from resetting again or ripping out for something else.  I’ve turned off auto updates too now.

Diag ref 1839580843

icon

Best answer by Jamie A 13 January 2023, 11:24

View original

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

Hi @mikey_s, welcome to the Sonos Community!

I’ve had a look into the diagnostics and don’t see anything that is specifically causing the audio to cut out. 

The HDMI connection can get in a faulty state that can cause audio issues, so lets power-cycle the TV by powering it off for two minutes, then back on again, to restart the HDMI handshake..

If you’re still having audio cut out, then I’d recommend having the Surrounds and Sub on a wireless connection instead of having everything in the system wired. While you have been fine with the system running like this previously, this may have always been a background issue but wasn’t noticed or was negligible.

As it’s only TV audio, not with music or with the solo Beam, it’s likely the signal is not reaching all Home Theater equipment in time. The Surrounds and Sub need to have a low latency due to the high bandwidth of TV audio. When everything is going through the router, other traffic can slow things down.

You’ll want to enable Wi-Fi on the Arc, Surrounds, and Sub, then head to Settings → System → Network → Manage Networks → Update Networks. This will add your wireless network to the Sonos system and allow you to remove the Ethernet cable from the Surrounds and Sub. 

This proposed solution with allow the Surrounds and Sub to communicate directly with the Arc with 5Ghz, rather than having to go through the router first.

I hope this information helps!