Answered

Sonos Amp + TCL TV w/Roku w/hdmi(arc) w/Digital Output Format set to Auto mutes the audio when returning the audio to the TV apps

• 3 December 2023
  • 3 replies

my living room setup: TCL TV w/ROKU OS w/hdmi(arc) + Sonos Amp + 2 external non-Sonos speakers

everything working, cool. one weird phenomenon i’ve noticed: 

If I’m listening to music via the Sonos app and I set the TCL ROKU TV Digital output format setting to Passthrough or Stereo, then click around on the TV, the audio quickly returns to the TV (at the volume it was previously). Fine. Good.

If I’m listening to music via the Sonos app and I set the TCL ROKU TV Digital output format setting to Auto, then click around on the TV, the audio does NOT return to the TV whatsoever and i get a pop-up on the Sonos App asking whether I want to send the Sonos app music to the external speakers or have the TV audio go to the speakers. Okay. Cool. I can then send the audio back to the TV by unselecting that particular room audio (the living room) in the Sonos app, but the TV volume does NOT then immediately go back to the volume it was previously. It’s at 0. I have to click on the volume up/down on the TCL TV remote, then it slowly goes back to the previous volume... 

That’s not the biggest problem in the world, but why does it do that?

icon

Best answer by Ken_Griffiths 4 December 2023, 01:27

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

After finishing playing music audio, does the TV audio volume output restire correctly (as before) if you use the (correct/usual) method to switch back to the TV sound when you select the ‘TV icon’ in the Sonos App at the foot of the audio services tab? See attached screenshot.

had no idea that was even there. because it was never there before… bizzare… i never even looked there...

If you have Alexa or SVC installed on the Soundbar too then you can also use a voice instruction to switch the HT from playing music audio back to the TV audio. Example:

’Hey Sonos, switch to TV Mode in the Living Room’ - (where Living Room is the room name of your Sonos Home Theatre)

HTH

edit: See this Support Link too for other SVC voice instructions available on Sonos:

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/list-of-voice-requests-for-sonos-voice-control