Skip to main content
Answered

Sonos AMP, Sonos Beam and passive rears

• 5 November 2021
  • 5 replies

Hi All, 

I am about to replace my existing Rotel Amp with a Sonos AMP and wanted to clarify my intended configuration first please.

I am going to exchange my existing Connect via the discount programme for the AMP.   This room already had two passive speakers and a TV connected to a Sonos Beam via HDMI, but isn’t set up as a 4.0 system.  Which is what i’d prefer while i ponder buying a Sonos Sub.

Should I go ahead and by the AMP, do i need to run the HDMI ARC to the new Sonos AMP or can i leave it connected to the Beam via HDMI ARC and let my Wifi and the Sonos app sort out the surround?  I’ll be connecting my passive speakers directly to the AMP.  (To run either ethernet - which i think was needed on the connect, or HDMI i’d need at least 8 meters of HDMI which makes me nervous). 

Thoughts please and let me know if the above isn’t clear and I can provide a diagram. 

Cheers,

James

That is perfectly clear. I hope my response will be equally so. 

To use the Amp to drive your passive rear speakers you just leave the Beam connected to your TV's HDMI-ARC connection. The Amp connects wirelessly. It needs neither an HDMI nor an Ethernet connection.

The only thing incorrect in what you wrote is that the Beam and Amp don't communicate over WiFi, but using direct routing between the Beam and the Amp. But that is just a technical point. The key thing is that the Amp can connect wirelessly. 

Btw this gives you 5.0 not 4.0 as the Beam provides front left, right and centre. 

John - Thank you for the quick and clear response. 

That makes sense I hadn’t factored in their own direct connectivity. Good to understand. 

Have a great weekend.

Best,

James

I'm not sure I understand your question.  Are you saying you want to power the two passive speakers with the Amp and configure them as rear surround speakers?  If so, the answer is yes and that's exactly what I do.  I have an Amp powering two rear in-ceiling Polk speakers.  When setting up the Amp you are given two options and one of them for surround sound (although I didn't find picking that option intuitive from a UI standpoint).  You don't need another HDMI cable as this works via WiFi, but you will need speaker wire between the Amp and speakers to power them.

This has worked nicely for me.  I watched Red 2 last night night and the gun battle scenes were impressive.

Thanks enGage - i look forward to giving it a full workout as soon as i’m all set up. :-)