Answered

Sonos Amp disappearing from speaker list when added as satellite to Arc

• 28 June 2023
  • 4 replies

I have an Arc as front TV speakers and I use an Amp with 2 passive speakers as satellites. I would also like to be able to use the Amp independently to listen to music when I am not watching TV.

However the Amp disappears from the list of available speakers as soon as I add it as a satellite to the Arc. I then have to manually remove the Amp from the Arc to be able to use is independently again.

Autoplay ungroup is turned on, but does nothing.

Is there a way to have the Amp support both setups (satellites / music) alternatively without having to change the configuration every time?

icon

Best answer by Ken_Griffiths 28 June 2023, 02:22

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

No, the two Amps are not ‘grouped’, they are ‘bonded’ together in what I will describe as a much more ‘permanent’ way as a Sonos Home Theatre setup.. So you have to unbond them to get them to independently playback music audio… however…

You can have ALL your passive speakers (front and rear) playing music audio by setting the music playback to ‘Full’ rather than ‘Ambient’ audio in the room settings for your HT. (‘Settings/System/[Amp Room Name]/Surround Audio’) in the Sonos App.

Ken, thank you for the explanation.

I tried setting music playback to Full and it works indeed. I had to raise the music volume to at least +10 for the Amp to match the output of the Arc.

However, the passive subwoofer that is connected to the Amp does not work in this configuration. I will probably have to purchase 2 One SL as satellites and remove the Amp as a surround speaker to get everything working as expected.

Ken, thank you for the explanation.

I tried setting music playback to Full and it works indeed. I had to raise the music volume to at least +10 for the Amp to match the output of the Arc.

However, the passive subwoofer that is connected to the Amp does not work in this configuration. I will probably have to purchase 2 One SL as satellites and remove the Amp as a surround speaker to get everything working as expected.

The only way to get a 3rd party Sub working with a Sonos Amp in a home theater configuration is to use the Amp as front channels instead of the Arc.

Using the Amp as front channels won’t work in my case, as its passive speakers are embedded in the ceiling behind the couch. Thanks for the info.