• 24 June 2024
  • 2 replies

Hi all,

My setup:

• Sonos Amp
  • Beam Gen 1
  • Sky Glass 65
  • MA BR2 (Passive)
  • Rega Planar P2 (Hmmmm need a preamp now too). 

I finally got around to purchasing my Sonos Amp.   Followed the instruction to get it set up via ethernet, directly in to my router.   Added the Amp to the Beam as the “Surrounds”. i.e. Rear left and right channels.

However i am not getting any rear audio at all (The spekers work as I can play standard audio from Apple music though only when they are  in a seperate configuration). 

I have tried:

• Removing and readding the speakers, 
  • Complete system reboot and power cycle, same for the router
  • Chaning the glass to Passthrough.  Which works in that i get audio through the beam.
  • Sky and Sonos on latest firmwre, app version

It apears as though the network is working as the volume button on the amp adjusts the beam volume. 

Any suggestions please?

Best and thanks
James

NOTE:  Is analog audio always disbled in this configuration.  My earlier reasearch seemed to indicate i could still use the turntable in thi sset up.  (Preamp aside)

2 replies

Yes, Line-In is disabled when a product is used in surround mode.

With respect to rear channel surround output, make sure that the source devices are set for surround, not stereo.

Thanks Buzz.   

That feels counterintuitive to me.  I have one room with two uses.   TV via the glass and beam and using the turntable. 

It would seem more logical to disable surround when using Line In.  Given there is only one Phono input.

Are there configurations/equipment that allow me to prioritise the functionality the amp provides over that which the beam provides.   Audio through the passives be that AirPlay or Vinyl sounds so much better to me. 

Thanks 

James