Answered

Simultaneously Playing Music & Sound from TV via Sonos Arc

• 18 December 2022
  • 4 replies

I’d like to play music from my Arc while watching TV. However, when I do, the Audio from my TV does not switch back to the TV’s speakers and instead I only hear music. Is there a way to have my TV automatically revert back to it’s standard Audio if I’m playing music on my Arc? My Arc is connected to my TV via HDMI ARC.

If not, is the solution to purchase another Sonos product, so that I would be able to play music from that device and keep the audio from my TV coming out of my Arc?

icon

Best answer by Mr. T 18 December 2022, 21:46

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 7

No, you would likely have to manually enable the TV speakers within the TV’s audio settings. However, due to the connection between the tv and the Sonos Arc, the audio may revert back to the Arc and not remain with tv speakers.

I see. Yes, when I try to turn off my TVs connection to the Arc, my TV automatically switches back to the Arc connection. Sounds like there’s no way to play both at the same time - which seems silly but I guess it is what it is.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Can you use a plain HDMI connection? That might prevent the auto-switching. But you’d still need to use the tv controller to switch to internal/external speakers. 

Userlevel 7

I see. Yes, when I try to turn off my TVs connection to the Arc, my TV automatically switches back to the Arc connection. Sounds like there’s no way to play both at the same time - which seems silly but I guess it is what it is.

You would have to disable HDMI-CEC to stop the audio switching back, but that would then still involve manually switching back and forth between tv speakers and Arc.

I have a pair of Fives either side of the Arc, purely for music listening. I often listen to music, whilst continuing to listen to TV audio (at a low volume) through the Arc. Personally, I prefer the music to come from a stereo pair of speakers, rather than through the Arc/surrounds, so worth considering purchasing an additional speaker or two for this purpose.