Skip to main content

Setup for 2 Sonos One, Playbase.

• 4 May 2018
  • 8 replies

Hello, I am new to Sonos Ecosystem. I recently purchased 2 Sonos one and a Playbase and connected them to my 55" Samsung UHD TV which is wall mounted. My Playbase is presently in a shelf and I am considering to play it on an open shelf. Please advise if I will still need a SUB even though the playbase comes with a small sub? Also when to use the Stereo Pair vs Surround sound with Sonos? I couldn't tell the difference in the sound between the 2 settings. At least with stereo pair, I can control the group/un group of Ones and Playbase. I loose that in Surround. Please advise. Thank you.
You should pair the two Sonos ONes as surrounds. Go into settings...room settings...for that room go to advanced surround settings and set them to FULL mode.

Now when you play music via the Sonos app you will hear a major difference as they will play as full stereo. When watching TV you won't notice a difference because they always act as surrounds when watching TV.

Sub - yes it makes a difference. Is it needed - NO. Does it add a lot - YES.
Thanks Chris. When I set them up in Surround sound and streamed Music, I didn't hear any sound coming out of the Ones'. Only Playbase was streaming the music. Did I miss a setup?
Also Is there a recommended position for SUB. If the SUB is placed high up from TV and little below the ceiling, will it still deliver the right sound and 5.1 experience?
subs are pretty much non-directional. I usually put mine closer to listening position (on floor by chair etc) to give it a little more rumble.
Hello Chris, I have Playbase, I am going to purchase 2 Sonos one for surround effect. Will I get 5.1 surround sound effect from this setup(Playbase+2 PlayOne). I am happy with the bass by the playbase since the sub is very costly.

Or

instead of going with 2Sonos one, is it better to purchase a Sub? what you would like to suggest?

Thanks,

Dev.
Well, technically, you'll be able to have a 5.0 system, you'd need to get a SUB in order to get that extra .1, but the signal should be the same.

As to whether to get the surround first, or the SUB first, it's a matter of what kind of thing you prefer. I lived without a SUB for a year, and had absolutely no complaints. I went with the surrounds, and they were awesome. And then, when I could afford it, I got a SUB, and was equally blown away. I suspect, ultimately, you'll end up with both, and be happy the entire time.
Thanks a lot Bruce.!!! First I will go with 2 Play one. and then with Sub..
Either way, I predict you’ll be happy! You’re most welcome, enjoy the world of Sonos. 🙂