Skip to main content

Hello all,

I’m seeking help in setting up a Sonos Arc, Sonos Amp (which are connected to ceiling speakers) and Subwoofer to my Sony Bravia TV. Here’s how my set up is:

• I have 2 amps, that are connected to each other
  • Each amp is connected to 2 ceiling speakers (1 amp family room and 1 amp kitchen)
  • I also have a subwoofer connected to the family room amp via wifi or bluetooth (can’t remember)
  • I have 4 HDMI slots on my Sony Bravia
  • My current set up is the HDMI cable connected to the amps is plugged into the HDMI Arc on my TV
  • When I turn on the TV, the sound comes through the family room speakers and the volume can be controlled by the remote
  • If I want TV to play in the kitchen speakers, I connect it with the Sonos App
  • This set up works fine
  • I now installed a Sonos Arc Soundbar and plugged it into the HDMI Arc on the TV
  • I have the Sonos Amp HDMI cable plugged into a regular HDMI port on the TV
  • The TV sound now only comes out of the Sonos Arc and I can’t figure out how to have the sound also come out of speakers in the ceiling
  • Plus the Arc does not respond to the TV remote, so I now have to use the app to control volume
  • In looking at some responses, it states I should set up surround sound.
  • The issue with that is the app is telling me I have to wire the Arc to the amp but they are not close to each other.
  • I was under the impression all of these can be connected via wifi, which I’m hoping can be done

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

You do not need to wire the Amp if it is an Amp (not a Connect:amp).  Here’s what you need to do:

1. Wire the Arc to the TV via the HDMI-Arc port.
  2. Disconnect the Amp (Family Room) from the TV’s HDMI port.
  3. Set up the Arc again and choose to have the TV control volume.
  4. Add the Amp to the Arc as surrounds: https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/add-surround-speakers-to-a-sonos-home-theater

Thank you. I will try this out over the weekend and let you know how it turned out.

Thank you for your help. I was able to get my Arc to work as well as the remote control. 

I do have a question about setting up surround. As I follow the instructions, I get the below. I was told to set up surround through my Arc and not my amp. The below looks as though they need to be wired? My Arc is on my TV while my amp is in a media cabinet? Do I just ignore this part?

Thank you to anyone who might know.

Those are speaker wires.  The Amp is an amplifier for 3rd party passive speakers, so the speakers must be physically wired to the Amp.  When I said the Amp doesn’t need to be wired, I meant there is no need for the Amp to be wired to the Arc or the router via Ethernet.

Got it, thanks. My speakers are already wired to the amp already so if I follow the instructions on the app, my ceiling speakers should become surround sound with the Arc, correct?

Thanks for your help and patience with my questions. 

Got it, thanks. My speakers are already wired to the amp already so if I follow the instructions on the app, my ceiling speakers should become surround sound with the Arc, correct?

Thanks for your help and patience with my questions. 

Yes, that should work.

Just an addition: surround speakers are meant to be behind placed you. Since you mention having always used them with your TV: are they indeed behind you?

Yes…speakers are behind where we sit.

I tried to add surround but it still did work. I checked and all my Sonos have WiFi enabled. The app keeps asking me to plug in the Ethernet cable from my router. Here’s something I noticed. Below shows the IP addresses of my Sonos. All have a different IP addresses. I have an Ethernet cable from my modem connected to an eero. Do all of the Sonos have to be on the same IP address to work?