Samsung The Frame 2022 + Sonos Arc = terrible sound quality

• 9 January 2023
  • 5 replies

Hi everyone,

I just setup a Sonos Arc on a Samsung The Frame 65” 2022 (LS03B). Both firmwares are up to date. The soundbar is connected to the eArc HDMI port using the Sonos cable.

When I play sound from a phone or computer through AirPlay, the sound is OK. This makes me believe the soundbar itself is OK.

When I play sound from the TV (broadcast or Youtube app), the sound is just crappy. It’s missing most of the bass, and generally speaking sounds very tinny, and only coming from the central channel. When the TV is running, the Sonos app show “PCM multicanal Dolby 2.0”. When I’m using the Youtube app, it shows “PCM multicanal Dolby 5.1”.

I tried the optical → HDMI adapter provided with the Sonos - I have no sound at all.

Please help, I’m at a loss here and about to return the Arc.

5 replies

Userlevel 7

In the TV settings, set the Digital Output Audio Format setting to Pass-Through, not Auto.

FYI… a lot of broadcast TV and most YouTube videos are only available in stereo. Playing a 5.1 or Dolby Atmos audio source is when the Arc truly shines.

I can’t force the TV to passthrough, it’s either PCM or Auto.

I spent more than one hour with a friendly Sonos representative on the chat, sent diag data, etc. According to him, it’s either a faulty hdmi cable or a faulty unit. I don’t have another cable to test, so they’ll send one (very nice of them). I doubt this will fix the issue but I’m willing to test of course. If it doesn’t, chances are I’ll just ask for a refund :(

Userlevel 7

Try setting HDMI-eARC Mode to OFF and Digital Output Audio Format to AUTO. Then test a 5.1 or Dolby Atmos audio source.

There has been a long history in these forums with owners of the Frame, and Samsung’s implementation of the sound / CEC system. I don’t expect a replacement Sonos cable to fix that issue. It would be much more likely to be something Samsung needs to address, for all Frame owners. 

Thanks for the replies. I tried HDMI-eARC Mode to OFF and Digital Output Audio Format to AUTO. It’s not really different. I did the calibration process a few times, maybe one or two of the tries sounded better. I tried so many things that I can’t remember. I think I’ll just give up and return it.