Skip to main content
Answered

Samsung solar cell one remote and Sonos radio app question

Hi, i’ve just bought a new Sonos Home Cinema System with ARC soundbar, sub gen 3 and two One SL surround and the connection is via HDMI eArc port. Very simple to setup.

I’m very impressed about the sound of this home cinema system.

I came from a very old Bose lifestyle 18 series III so… 

I’ve only one thing to ask that i don’t understand and it’s about the ability to control the soundbar volume via the Samsung remote also when i play music via Sonos Radio app or others services on my iPhone. Never tried to connect The Sonos ARC via toslink adapter but if you say that it will work this way i will try to connect via the hdmi/optical adapter in the box (i don’t care about loosing dolby atmos)

My Tv is a Frame 55” (2021) with solar cell remote that can handle volume up and down without problems (i only see + and - on tv instead of numbers).

Thanks in advance for your replies

Hi

When using the HDMI eArc cable you don’t need to programme the TV remote just make sure that CEC is enabled in your TV settings.

Hi

When using the HDMI eArc cable you don’t need to programme the TV remote just make sure that CEC is enabled in your TV settings.

Thanks for your reply :)

That’s what i’ve done and it’s ok, the remote can controlt the tv volume but when you open the Sonos app and play some music can you control the music volume through the samsung remote? Is it right that i can’t do this for music? Everyone can’t use the samsung remote to control the arc soundbar when listening to music via Sonos app?

No the TV would need to be on, as it is passing the signal through to the ARC.

Hi

That’s what i’ve done and it’s ok, the remote can controlt the tv volume but when you open the Sonos app and play some music can you control the music volume through the samsung remote? Is it right that i can’t do this for music? Everyone can’t use the samsung remote to control the arc soundbar when listening to music via Sonos app?

Yes, it will adjust the volume of your music with the TV switched on - when playing music, the TV audio output is set to zero.

One other way to control the Arc volume (with the TV switched off) is to use any infrared remote control which can be ‘paired’ with the Arc by going to ‘Settings/System/gArc Room Name]’ in the Sonos App and selecting ‘Remote Control Setup’, but note this will only work with ‘remotes’ that support infrared.

Hi

Yes, it will adjust the volume of your music with the TV switched on - when playing music, the TV audio output is set to zero.

One other way to control the Arc volume (with the TV switched off) is to use any infrared remote control which can be ‘paired’ with the Arc by going to ‘Settings/System/gArc Room Name]’ in the Sonos App and selecting ‘Remote Control Setup’, but note this will only work with ‘remotes’ that support infrared.

Ok, now i’m sure i have a problem because also when tv is on i can’t control the music volume. I can control the tv volume only :(

Ok, now i’m sure i have a problem because also when tv is on i can’t control the music volume. I can control the tv volume only :(

I would first try powering everything off at the power socket and leave it off for a few minutes and check cables are seated correctly. Power all ‘on’ again including the TV and then play some music to the Arc using the Sonos App. Then try adjusting the volume with the TV remote both up and down whilst the music is playing. See how that goes.

I would first try powering everything off at the power socket and leave it off for a few minutes and check cables are seated correctly. Power all ‘on’ again including the TV and then play some music to the Arc using the Sonos App. Then try adjusting the volume with the TV remote both up and down whilst the music is playing. See how that goes.

Thanks for the tip but no luck.
Same behaviour.

Same behaviour.

Can you confirm you have switched on CEC on your TV and that the Arc is using the (identified) HDMI-ARC port - Also are you using the HDMI cable (with HEAC support) that came with the Sonos Arc?

Same behaviour.

Can you confirm you have switched on CEC on your TV and that the Arc is using the (identified) HDMI-ARC port - Also are you using the HDMI cable (with HEAC support) that came with the Sonos Arc?

Yes i confirm CEC is on, i’ve used the hdmi Sonos cable that was in the box and the hdmi port is the one with eArc capability (HDMI3)

Do you have anything else cabled to the other HDMI ports on the TV, or is the Sonos Arc the only device linked? I’m thinking to perhaps just try it without any other devices plugged in, to see if that changes anything. It might also be worth trying a different HDMI cable in case the one supplied by Sonos is faulty.

If those things do not make any difference, then it’s perhaps best to submit a Sonos diagnostic report, note it’s reference and then contact Sonos Support Staff via this LINK.

There’s nothing wrong with your system. Once connected through (e)ARC you can only change the volume on TV-sources, because the remote is controlling your TV, that relays the commands to the soundbar. The TV can only do that when it has command of the source.

Thanks, glad to hear that. Thought something was wrong with the Sonos system.

I will use Sonos app on my iPhone for changing music volume.