Answered

Samsung help

• 28 December 2022
  • 4 replies

All…

I just purchased a Samsung QN85B QLED 75” tv. I have an Arc with One surrounds and a sub. When they are the only thing connected to the TV via HDMI to the ARC port, it works perfectly. If I try to connect my DirecTv box or my PlayStation 4, it drops my SONOS system out and goes to TV speakers. This is incredibly frustrating and SAMSUNG has been 0 help. Anybody have any words of wisdom??

icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 28 December 2022, 20:36

View original

4 replies

Couple of suggestions to try, but no guaranties.

First, make sure the TV is up to date. Apply any software/firmware updates there may be.

Second, go in to the setting of both the DirecTV box (Genie, if memory serves?) and PlayStation 4, and turn “off” CEC. If it’s already “off”, turn it on, then turn it back off, just to make sure the software resets that connection.  You could also try just turning off CEC on the TV set, but there might be implications there, too.

If that doesn’t work, or perhaps there’s no CEC controls (I’m desperately trying to remember my old DirecTV box’s interface), you could get some of those CEC adapters that block the pins on your HDMI cable. The ones I’ve “seen” on Amazon are made by Lindy, but I think there are other types these days. They’re inexpensive, and small. 

What I think is happening is that these two devices are improperly “announcing” to the computer in your TV set that they’re an audio sink. CEC only allows a single audio sink, and if that “focus” is stolen from the Sonos, and since there’s confusion in the computer, it’s putting that sound back to the TV’s speakers. 

Couple of suggestions to try, but no guaranties.

First, make sure the TV is up to date. Apply any software/firmware updates there may be.

Second, go in to the setting of both the DirecTV box (Genie, if memory serves?) and PlayStation 4, and turn “off” CEC. If it’s already “off”, turn it on, then turn it back off, just to make sure the software resets that connection.  You could also try just turning off CEC on the TV set, but there might be implications there, too.

If that doesn’t work, or perhaps there’s no CEC controls (I’m desperately trying to remember my old DirecTV box’s interface), you could get some of those CEC adapters that block the pins on your HDMI cable. The ones I’ve “seen” on Amazon are made by Lindy, but I think there are other types these days. They’re inexpensive, and small. 

What I think is happening is that these two devices are improperly “announcing” to the computer in your TV set that they’re an audio sink. CEC only allows a single audio sink, and if that “focus” is stolen from the Sonos, and since there’s confusion in the computer, it’s putting that sound back to the TV’s speakers. 

THANK YOU!

Don’t thank me until you resolve the issue….but you’re welcome, either way :)

Don’t thank me until you resolve the issue….but you’re welcome, either way :)

Well sir, I have come back to give you another big THANK YOU. Just got the CEC adaptors in and it solved everything PERFECTLY!