Skip to main content
Answered

Samsung Flip TV to Sonos arc. No HDMI arc or optical out. Trying to setup

• 24 July 2024
  • 7 replies

Hi Guys,

Having a moose. I’ve bought a Samsung Flip TV for my business and the sound from the tv is poor. I’ve bought a Sonos Arc soundbar to then stream it through. Without realising that there is no HDMI arc or Optical out on the bloody expensive TV. The only thing there is is a 3.5mm audio jack. 

The reason for the TV is to stream video which could come from a PC or any other streaming device. 

Any idea how I could do this- 

Convert from the audio jack to an HDMI

direct the sound to the sonos and the visual to the TV - from the PC or other streaming device.

Any other way of doing it?!

Thanks in advance

Will

7 replies

I would strip out the audio before the image reaches the TV, by using an HDMI switch (which make help your ‘any other device’ problem as well). If you’re not interested in Atmos you have a lot of options using the optical adapter. There may be switches that use straight ARC as well, which may be helpful.

If you want to worry about Atmos, there is the HD Fury Arcana, the Feintech VAX04101k, and the OREI HDA-935. You can also order from those links from the companies directly, or check your local retailers for availability. Amazon may carry some, depending on location. At this point, there may be more manufacturers, I haven’t been keeping track. There are a couple of those companies that carry devices that have multiple HDMI inputs.

By the way, do you have a link to this flip TV? I’m a little surprised it isn’t equipped with ARC or eARC….

Just found it in Amazon’s website, it really isn’t a TV at all…which may explain the lack of an ARC port.

I have to wonder if putting any splitter in front of the HDMI port will block any communication from this display to a PC. I’m not really sure. This is definitely a corner case use, and I have no idea how it communicates back to a PC. 

Thanks Bruce, greatly appreciated for doing the research. You’re right- it’s not your normal TV, I should have stated. Really frustrating, it’s used to present to a load of people (85 inches) but the sound is crap. 

What you say makes sense about splitting the sound and I’m not so worried about atmos, can I ask a favour and you link me a generic splitter as suggested - just so I can see what you mean.

Here’s a search on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=hdmi+switch+optical+output&crid=CFH5Y5OEFULR&sprefix=HDMI+switch+optical+out%2Caps%2C351&ref=nb_sb_ss_ts-doa-p_2_23

If you were to choose something like one of these, you’d connect the various HDMI inputs to it, and the HDMI video output would go to this monitor. A optical cable would connect from the optical output on the switch to the Sonos ARC adapter, and that adapter would go in to the Sonos Arc. The maximum signal using this method is Dolby Digital, due to bandwidth constraints in the optical cable. 

Thanks again Bruce, this worked perfectly

Delighted to hear it, congratulations!