SACD Playback: Sony X800 Player-->Sony A80J 77" OLED-->Sonos Arc/Sub/Surrounds (via eARC)

• 17 December 2023
  • 11 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

Hi been through the forum and haven’t been able to duplicate others’ success with this.

Though I’ve been successful with other surround music formats (BluRay, DVD-A), I’ve been stymied in my attempts to get SACD Surround material to my Sonos.   I see the menus and the material is playing, but the signal isn’t making it to the Arc (I am successful in hearing it on the TV’s internal speakers, but that’s not what I want).

Equipment is in the subject line, and I have tried with multiple menu settings (including eARC off), but no joy yet.

Can anyone help?

Thanks!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

11 replies

How is the SACD connected to the TV (and what port is in use)?

It feels like, on further reflection, that if Blu-ray and DVD-A is working, it’s an issue with the format, and the TV not processing that format properly to send back out via ARC/eARC. Do you know what format is being sent to the TV? If you disconnect the Arc, does the TV play the input?

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

SACD is connected via HDMI 1, and the SACD signal DOES play on the TVs internal speakers, but doesn’t pass through to the Arc, which is connected to HDMI 3 (eARC).  DSD is feeding to the TV, but I have also tried via PCM. 

Userlevel 7

Set the Blu-ray player to these settings:

DSD Output Mode: Auto

Super Audio CD Playback Layer: Super Audio CD

Super Audio CD Playback Channel: DSD Multi

Digital Audio Output: Try both settings (Auto and PCM)

Set the TV to these settings:

eARC: Auto

Digital Audio Out: Auto 1

Dolby Digital Plus Output: Dolby Digital Plus

Pass Through Mode: Auto

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

Thanks. I think I saw these settings when I was searching earlier. Unfortunately no joy.  Still silent. 

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

And I’ve tried numerous SACDs. 

It may be that the TV can’t translate the signal being received into something that can be sent out via eARC/ARC. Your connections seem fine, but it seems like the TV is the bottleneck. It has two jobs, first to translate the incoming data into something that can be sent out, and then second to actually send that signal out to the Sonos . You may want to contact Sony’s support to ask them…

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

They already pointed me to Sonos 🤮

I think the TV or Player has to do some transcoding here for this to work - try changing the TV pass-through to PCM perhaps and see if it coverts the signal to something the Arc can understand. I think it’s the higher resolution SACD DSD format that it’s not understanding and either the Player, or the TV, needs to transcode it to multi-channel PCM, but that’s just a bit of a guess on my part.

Certainly it’s been proven that the Sonos works, as it’s playing blu-rays and DVD As. So it’s a matter of if the TV is sending a signal at all, or if it’s sending one that Sonos can’t interpret. My money is on the former, but here is the the supported audio formats FAQ, but I don’t think supported video formats are covered. And because, from Sonos’ point of view, the source is video via ARC/eARC, and not straight audio, if the signal isn’t one of the standard video audio signals (stereo, PCM, Dolby Digital, Dolby Digital Plus, or MAT, it may have difficulty interpreting that stream. Which is why it is essential to know what is being sent to the Sonos, if anything at all. As @Ken_Griffiths suggests, it could be the signal from the player to the TV,  or the TV’s ability to transcode whatever it’s receiving, and send that ‘new’ signal out via ARC/eARC to the Sonos. Either way, it seems to me the failure is upstream, and not with the Sonos itself. 

Userlevel 7

I found this thread where the OP was able to play SACD audio from a Sony Blu-ray player to their Arc setup. BUT no one else was able to get it to work on their setups. Very strange:

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

Yes…saw this, thanks.  I’ll see if Sonos has any light to shed on this next week, though I think this group is way more knowledgeable.