Skip to main content
Question

Ray set-up

• 22 July 2024
  • 5 replies

Just bought my first Sonos product - a Ray for spare room TV.

On first attempt to set it up I got quite far - the app picked up the Ray, went through a couple of stages and then said that the Ray needed to updated to the latest software version. It started doing that for 5-10 minutes then got to the end and said it failed to update and then there was no product at all showing in the app. The app then wouldn't pick up the Ray at all when I tried to add it again.

I checked some help-sites and it was recommended to do a reset by holding down the back bluetooth button and re-plugging it in. Did this and the app picked up the Ray to set it up again. Got to the wifi connection stage and the Ray will not connect to the wifi at all. I have tried this half a dozen times now - I get a message after it tries to connect to wifi for 5 minutes saying the the Ray ‘may not be visible in your products’ and to unplug and retry. I do this and the app isnt in products and doesnt pick the Ray up at all. It only picks up the Ray if I do a reset and then fails at wifi connection stage,

My wifi says that it is operating at 2.5 and 5 GHz bands so not sure what to do now. Everything else connects to it - Sky boxes, alexa products, phones etc

So frustrating - going to have to send the Ray back if this doesnt get resolved.

Help please!

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Turn the Ray off at the wall, then reboot your router so it is fully booted up, then turn the Ray back on.

If you do get your Ray connected to your wifi, update it as follows;

Download the Windows or Mac app for desktop onto your laptop, and run the system update from there. That usually sorts these ‘failed to update’ issues out. 

https://support.sonos.com/en-gb/downloads

thanks I will give that a go

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

thanks I will give that a go

Also try logging out of your Sonos account on your app, then log back in before turning the Ray back on. 

seems to have done the job. Rebooting the router worked. Bloody frustrating though!

Thank for your help Rhonny :)

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

I think despite you resetting the Ray, the router couldn’t forget the Ray without a reboot, so was acting on old information… Or something like that!

Glad it’s sorted.