Answered

Random crackling/popping/clicking sound on Sonos Arc with Netflix Dolby Atoms + Bass set high (+8)

• 11 February 2023
  • 10 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

My Sonos Arc is connected via HDMI eARC to Sony Bravia XR X90J.

I have noticed a random cracking/popping/clicking sound in my Sonos Arc while playing audio or sequences with heavy bass. This does not always happen. For example, while playing STRANGER THINGS Season 4 on Netflix with Dolby Atmos, I notice no issue despite the show's excessive bass. On the other hand, playing CLASS, especially the Episode 6 pre-credit intro scene, the cracking/clicking/popping sound is so loud. I noticed similar sounds while playing YOUNG SHELDON season 6 on prime video.

The cracking/clicking/popping sound fades away if I reduce the bass to -10. If I increase the bass to +8, the sound gets louder.

I have tried restarting the unit, removing the HDMI cable, re-attaching it and restarting the TV itself, etc. Sometimes doing this makes things go back to normal, but it does not always work. Also, it's not a long-term solution. Need a permanent fix for this. I need to know if it's a hardware issue so I can get it fixed while it's under warranty.

Additional information - The noise starts appearing after 2-3 hours once you power on the sytsem and start watching something.

icon

Best answer by Corry P 15 February 2023, 10:11

View original

10 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @darshakparmar 

Thanks for your post!

I recommend you get in touch with our technical support team, who have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your Sonos system and what it reports.

The only steps I could recommend are best done while on a support call so that you don’t need to repeat them for proof of a fault.

I hope this helps.

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

I will try my luck with the customer care number. Though it is available only during business hours and it is hard to reproduce the issue at that time, considering the issue arises only after a few hours of usage and that would usually happen only over a weekend. Example, right now I am on 65h episode of THE PERIPHERAL on prime at 13:12 and the Arc has started the same crackling sound

Userlevel 7

Make sure the TV is set to these settings:

eARC: Auto

Digital Audio Out: Auto 1

Dolby Digital Plus Output: Dolby Digital Plus

Pass Through Mode: Auto

If you are just using the TV’s native apps to stream, try setting eARC to OFF.

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

@GuitarSuperstar  thank you for that suggestion. But no luck with it. Few hours of usage, and annoying crackling sound creeps in. I noticed it's higher from the right side of the soundbar, close to height drivers I guess.

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

So finally made some progress on this. Took two sessions of chat with the customer support. I recorded video of the Arc while it was making this noise and shared with the customer support. They made me reset the Arc. The noise came back again after a few days of usage. It was nice of the support team to confirm that there is a fault in my Arc and it will be replaced. Now waiting for local authorized service provider to replace the Arc.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @darshakparmar 

Thanks for updating the thread, and I’m glad to hear you will be getting a replacement!

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

So received the replacement today. I will use the replacement under the same parameters as earlier and if the same issue comes up, I will update this thread.

Though, I am curious to know what could have triggered such an issue so that I can avoid similar situation in future to protect the Arc.

Did the replacement arc clear up the issue? I have the same thing happening with an Arc SL, Apple TV 4K, and Sony TV. 

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

@993turbo yes. the replacement ARC solved the issue. It was a hardware problem with the earlier unit. Got banged up during the shipping I guess. 

Thank you for posting this.   I’m having the same issue with my Arc and it was driving me insane.  I kept thinking it was a background app on my phone, or multiple inputs.  Spent hours trying to diagnose the issue.  It’s a really bizarre random ticking noise and it only comes from the Arc not the 5’s I have connected.   Really don’t want to go through the hassle of replacing this but doesn’t look like I’ll have much choice.