Skip to main content
Answered

Questions about how to control tv audio from an HDMI ARC input on the Sonos AMP

• 25 January 2024
  • 4 replies

Greeting
Just investigating SONOS for a new house build so I apologize if this is too simple.

I would like to attach a Samsung (The Frame, 2023 version) TV to Sonos AMP Gen 2. I have three different listening scenarios

• TV on - tv sound going to speakers
  • TV off- sound from Sonos streaming to speakers
  • Tv on- sound from Sonos streaming to speakers (use the TV to view pictures)

The first two seem pretty straightforward but for the third one, can I select what source is amplified (tv or streaming) via the APP or ??

Thanks for any guidance!

Yes, you can view photos on the TV while streaming music from the Sonos app to the speakers wired to the Amp. You simply just begin playing the music from the Sonos app to the Amp while the TV is powered on and already displaying the photos.

If you have any issues getting the Amp to switch from TV audio to music, you can disable the TV Autoplay feature in the Amp’s settings in the Sonos app.

Thanks for the quick reply.

Just to make sure I understand. If I disable Autoplay for the TV (at the Sonos Amp), then I will be able to manually select (via the Sonos app) which source (TV or streaming) is being sent to the speakers even if the TV is on and sending audio data to the Amp via HDMI.

Is that correct?

Thanks again.

Thanks for the quick reply.

Just to make sure I understand. If I disable Autoplay for the TV (at the Sonos Amp), then I will be able to manually select (via the Sonos app) which source (TV or streaming) is being sent to the speakers even if the TV is on and sending audio data to the Amp via HDMI.

Is that correct?

Thanks again.

Actually, for most TVs you don't need to disable TV Autoplay.  Just switching to music will do it.  Unless the TV gets turned off then back on, Autoplay won't kick in.  Shutting off Autoplay is only necessary with a temperamental TV.

Thanks!