PS5/Sonos Arc Dolby Atmos

• 29 October 2023
  • 1 reply

So, I have been testing streaming from my PS5 (Plex, Prime, YouTube, Spotify) and it looks like everything I stream from the PS5 through the soundbar it's giving me Dolby Atmos (that's what the app is showing). 

Not sure who is making the trick because for YouTube I was surprise, I wasn't expecting getting the Dolby Atmos message in the Sonos App. 

I tested the same video from Amazon Prime with the PS5 I get Dolby Atmos even tho the movie doesn't have it!! With the NVIDIA Shield I get sorround 5.1 as expected. So, who is making the tick here, the PS5 or the Sonos App is having some kind of bug? But I can notice the sound difference so not sure what the hell is the PS5 doing to convert everything to Dolby Atmos. 

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1 reply

As a guess, the PS5 is sending the signal as Atmos. To my knowledge, the Sonos software has no transcoding capabilities. I suppose it could be the TV instead of the PS5…