Answered

Projector to 1xAMP (+2xONE in WiFi) with HDMI-ARC (Rear) + 1xARC(front) in WiFi = Atmos?

• 25 November 2023
  • 4 replies

Hello everyone,

I ve been looking for a similar case during 30 minutes, but unfortunately not been able to find anything. So, sorry if it has already been answered in other topic.

Here is my situation for the AMP connexion for 2 different usage:

As home theatre:
I would like to connect my projector to the Sonos AMP through a HDMI-ARC to beneficiate Dolby atmos.
- This Sonos AMP would be connected though WiFi to two Sonos ONE to build the rear surround.
- This Sonos AMP would be connected though WiFi to one Sonos ARC to build the front line.

As turntable amplification and connexion for the whole Sonos system:
I would like to connect my turntable to the Sonos AMP through Audio-IN and stream to all my Sonos speakers.

1- Is that possible?
2- Do I still beneficiate the Dolby Atmos feature?
3- If not, how can I manage it to work?

A picture is better than a lot of words.
Thank you all for your support

icon

Best answer by Ken_Griffiths 25 November 2023, 16:06

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

No, the Sonos Amp does not support, or pass-through, Dolby Atmos audio. If you were to ‘group’ it with the Sonos Arc over WiFi, it will only send TV PCM stereo-only audio to the Arc, which would be delayed by 75ms aswell, that’s compared to any speakers ‘linked’ or ‘bonded’ (not grouped) to the Amp and likely cause a noticeable echo-effect in your viewing room.

To get Atmos audio - you need to wire a Projectors HDMI-eARC port (not HDMI-ARC) direct to the Sonos Arc and then ‘bond’ (not group) that Soundbar to your Sonos Ones. You could also optionally add one, or two, Subs to that setup (One must be a Gen3 Sub), or use just one Sonos Sub-Mini instead and that will give you Atmos audio output - without any need for the Sonos Amp.

To get Atmos audio - you need to wire a Projectors HDMI-eARC port (not HDMI-ARC) direct to the Sonos Arc and then ‘bond’ (not group) that Soundbar to your Sonos Ones. You could also optionally add one, or two, Subs to that setup (One must be a Gen3 Sub), or use just one Sonos Sub-Mini instead and that will give you Atmos audio output - without any need for the Sonos Amp.

According to Sonos, I can connect my Sonos Arc to a projector with HDMI-ARC (unfortunately that is what I have), but I would not beneficiate Atmos. 
I did this connexion but do not manage to set my projector (Sonos application does not detect the “TV”)

Any clue ? what can it be ? 

Thank you.

Your projector has to be capable of sending a HDMI-ARC/eARC signal to the Sonos Arc.  Not all projector models are capable and actually have the correct HDMI-ARC/eARC port.  You will likely need to turn on the ARC/eARC settings in the projector’s audio settings.  If your projector is not capable, there are ways around this.  

Also you need to have a source (streaming box, cable, blu-ray player, etc) that will send an atmos audio signal to your projector that will then pass the audio on to your Sonos Arc.