Please recommend me a solution to this problem

• 26 December 2022
  • 44 replies

Badge

Hi all,

New owner of Sonos Beam Gen 2 and loving it.  However I have a small problem and would like suggestions on the best way to solve it.

I have a Media Player connected via HDMI to my Sony X90J TV and the Sonos via the eARC Port.  And, all works just fine.

My problem is that selecting eARC for an output on the TV negates the digial (toslink) output on the TV meaning I now have no where to connect my headphones.

So what is the solution, without costing an arm and a leg.  Looked at the Orei HDA-912 but that does not output via the digital or analog outputs with passthrough selected. HDA-927 looks like it might be OK so I don’t have to enable eARC on the TV.  But the equivalent FeinTech VAX01202 suggests it does not work with Sonos.

Any other solutions greatly appreciated.

TIA

44 replies

When you want to use your headphones, turn off CEC on the TV set. 

This is an issue with the CEC standard, which only allows one ‘sink’ for audio. It isn’t unique to Sonos, unfortunately. 

Badge

When you want to use your headphones, turn off CEC on the TV set. 

Thank you for your reply.

I do not use CEC and it is permanently OFF on the TV.  I think it’s a Sony TV thing, you cannot have both eARC and digital output at the same time.  Maybe I’m wrong, if so please let me know.

I need a digital output somehow, the question is how?

Ah. It’s a CEC thing, not unique to Sony. When you turn off CEC, it should energize the optical output, to my knowledge, since it no longer has any knowledge about what is connected via eARC. The challenge would be to get both operating at the same time. 

You could probably get just a standard HDMI switch that has an optical out on it to connect to the headphone. However, I’m not 100% sure whether any of those switches pass through a full Dolby Atmos signal, or just a Dolby Digital signal to the TV that would be reflected back to the Sonos on HDMI eARC. 

Badge

I don’t think I can get a standard HDMI switch as the Beam requires eARC/ARC to work.  It will not work with a standard HDMI Connection.  Well, that is what I think, maybe I’m wrong.

One could try inserting a CEC eliminator into the HDMI-ARC path. By the way, CEC is on pin 13 of the HDMI cable. It’s not easy, but you could remove pin 13 — from a cable that you don’t like.

Badge

So CEC is causing this, I would not have guessed that.  Surely there must be a way of turning making the Sony TV think CEC is disabled.  Obviously turning if OFF in the settings is not enough.

I don’t have a SONY set to prove this, but we are suspicious. Some TV’s require that CEC be enabled before they’ll pass HDMI-ARC audio, but they don’t seem to freak out if no CEC commands arrive. If you block CEC, Volume control of BEAM and power control of the TV will not be as integrated.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

As I understand it you cannot use e(ARC) without having CEC (Bravia Link) on. As stated above the TV would not know the Beam is there without CEC, so the Beam would not work.

Badge

OK fine I understand that now.  But my original question was about adding a device that would either negate turning ON CEC on the TV or giving me a digital output (not via the TV of course).

Both would need to enable me to not lose any quality of video nor audio.

Suggestions greatly appreciated.

TIA

Try inserting a CEC blocker between ARC and TV.

Badge

Do you have a recommended one?

Presently going to cut the CEC wire in the HDMI Cable.  Finding conflicting stuff on the Internet on which is pin 13.  Some save 4 from the left on the top row, while others say 4 from the right on the top row.

Left or right depends on which view they are presenting -- front or back -- plug or socket.

Do you have a recommended one?

Presently going to cut the CEC wire in the HDMI Cable.  Finding conflicting stuff on the Internet on which is pin 13.  Some save 4 from the left on the top row, while others say 4 from the right on the top row.

Here’s one example… (others are available online)…

https://www.amazon.com/Lindy-HDMI-Adapter-Female-41232/dp/B00DL48KVI

Badge

Left or right depends on which view they are presenting -- front or back -- plug or socket.

If you have an HDMI Cable, both ends have the same sex.

Badge

Here’s one example… (others are available online)…

https://www.amazon.com/Lindy-HDMI-Adapter-Female-41232/dp/B00DL48KVI

Thanks will check it out.

Badge

As I understand it you cannot use e(ARC) without having CEC (Bravia Link) on. As stated above the TV would not know the Beam is there without CEC, so the Beam would not work.

You are 100% correct.  Cut the wire on pin 13 and now digital output and Beam both produce sound but you cannot control the volume of the Beam.  So not much good.  CEC Blocker would probably do the same so no point purchasing one.

Only option now is to find some sort of extenal device that will give me a digital output or negate the use of the eARC on the TV.

Please, can anyone offer any suggestions to help.

TIA

You could control BEAM’s Volume with IR commands from one of the remotes.

Badge

You could control BEAM’s Volume with IR commands from one of the remotes.

I was using a Harmony Elite Remote to do the testing, with the cut wire, and I don’t know if that was using WiFi or IR.  Maybe you can select which to use?

I did not know the Beam had an IR input, thought it was either WiFi or via CEC.

You would need to train BEAM to use IR. Go to Settings → System → [BEAM Room] → Remote Control Setup. The TV model number is arbitrary, use something convenient

Badge

You would need to train BEAM to use IR. Go to Settings → System → [BEAM Room] → Remote Control Setup. The TV model number is arbitrary, use something convenient

Yes it’s possible but difficult using the Harmony Elite as you will need to get the IR Blaster close enough.

Let’s wait and see if anyone can offer a device that would give me a digital output or negate the use of the eARC on the TV.

Thanks again for all your input, I really appreciate it and your time.

The Blaster is convenient for components behind closed doors, but I thought that the handheld could directly emit IR.

Badge

but I thought that the handheld could directly emit IR.

I don’t think the Harmony Elite emits IR.  Do don’t have to point it at devices it just transmits wireless to the Harmony Hub and the Hub and its Blasters transmit IR.

I came across an Elite overview claiming that the handheld can emit IR. I have no idea how easy or hard this might be. It’s possible that it is an either/or -- hub/direct IR output. Hopefully, it is on a device basis and you can indicate that BEAM is a direct IR client. 

I don’t think the Harmony Elite emits IR.  Do don’t have to point it at devices it just transmits wireless to the Harmony Hub and the Hub and its Blasters transmit IR.

It seems a lot of trouble, just to use headphones. Most people just switch ‘off’ CEC on their TV settings to listen to their headphones and switch it ‘on’ again when choosing to use the connected soundbar.

If you are using a Harmony Hub, or their Elite remote, (see attached)  you maybe able to add the TV as a device in the Harmony App (if you’ve not done that already) and simply create an ‘Activity’ to switch CEC ‘on’ & ‘off’ at a press of a button on your Elite remote. Even if you have to create the activity yourself to run a step-by-step macro to do it. Otherwise it should be easy to switch off Bravia link anyway in a couple of clicks or so.

I don’t use personally use Sony, but some TV’s do have the option to switch off CEC using the TV remote so see if that option is perhaps available for your TV model. See what the user manual or Sony Support can suggest to assist.. at least that way you get to keep all the features that come with having HDMI-ARC/eARC.

Badge

It seems a lot of trouble, just to use headphones. Most people just switch ‘off’ CEC on their TV settings to listen to their headphones and switch it ‘on’ again when choosing to use the connected soundbar.

Thank you for your reply.

If only it was this easy!  The Sony TV does not allow turning OFF CEC once an eARC device is found.  That option is greyed out, which is a real shame as your suggestions would have worked and easily solved my problem.