Skip to main content
Question

Playing broadcast tv sound through my Beam

• 6 July 2024
  • 4 replies

Hi,

I have had a Beam for a few years and initially it seemed to work fine with my then very old Sony television. It went unused a while and then I acquired a newish Sony tv and thought I would make use of it again. 

i connected it to my Apple TV and it is easily selectable as an Airplay receiver and works fine. The issue was when watching broadcast tv, or content from my Amazon stick - the tv would not recognise it and the app - which is a horrible thing to use - could not recognise the tv. 

Now acquired another newish tv, a Samsung, connected via the one Arc port but exactly the same issue as with the Sony while working fine when used via the Apple TV. 

I’m quite annoyed at the time I have spent on this just to achieve a simple goal of my Beam working in whatever mode I need it to. It should surely be a lot more plug and play? Any advice very welcome  Thanks, Craig

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

How do you have your kit connected? What audio output settings are you using on the tv? What do you mean by “would not recognise it” and “could not recognise the tv”? What error messages do you get?

Hi there,

Thanks for your response. I have tried various connections options - the HDMI from the Beam into one of tv’s sole HDMI Arc port (where it is now) and also connected to the Sonos adaptor with that going into the optical port. I still have a spare port on the Beam, do I need another cable to connect it? That would seem dd when it works fine with my Apple TV under the current set up.

Within the Sound settings on my Samsung I have several options under Sound Output. TV Speaker, Optical and Bluetooth Speaker List. The latter cannot see the speaker and the Optical setting has no sound. When the TV Speaker is selected there is a small green graphic equaliser to the right of the box to indicate that there is sound playing. When I select Optical the same visual plays, just without any sound of course. There are no error messages as such here. 

Within the App the Beam is recognised. I go to the TV Set Up option and the overlay says Let’s get your beam connected to your tv. I tell it that I am connected to ARC, it then Tests Connection and I am told that ARC Mode is not connected. Within the Expert Setting on my tv there is a category called HDMI eArc Mode and it’s set to Auto. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

Are there any HDMI options for Sound Output? Your list seems incomplete.

Is there an HDMI eARC connector on the tv? Try connecting to that. What are the other options than Auto for HDMI eARC Mode?

Hi again,

So settings with my Samsung tv Sound menu - Sound Output (TV Speaker / Optical / Bluetooth Speaker List). There’s a Sound Mode menu and then Expert Settings. Most of those are switches:

HDMI eARC Mode (Off / Auto)

Digital Output Audio Format (PCM / Auto / PassThrough)

Digital Output Audio Delay

Dolby Atmos (this is not available)

Auto Volume

Sound Feedback

Reset Sound.

One of the HDMI ports is labelled as ARC. I have the Beam’s HDMI cable plugged in there at the moment (thus not in the Optical port).