Answered

playing back SACDs

Hi. I am not having any success in playing back SACDs through my Sonos Arc sound bar. 

My disc player is a Sony UBP-X800M2. It is connected via HDMI cable to a Sony BRAVIA KJ-50X80WK TV, which is connected directly to a 
Sonos ARCG1JP1BLK ArcSoundbar

I have no problem playing back regular CDs.

I have tried connecting the disc player directly to the sound bar, with no luck.

I have tried adjusting the audio settings on the TV, with no success, and have asked Sony for advice, but they are unable to help me.

Thanks in advance for any advice you may be able to offer. 
icon

Best answer by GuitarSuperstar 16 January 2023, 10:54

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

10 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Are you able to play the SACDs through the TV with the ARC disconnected?

Badge +20

SACDs have a very stringent form of copy protection and require the TV to play / pass through, it involves a “chip” in the TV and very few have it. Some AV receivers do but it’s not a format Sonos supports.

Back in the day you would buy a SACD / DVD-A player that had a bunch of analogue outputs and these were then fed into an AV amplifier. 

Userlevel 7

Set the TV to these settings:

eARC: Auto

Digital Audio Out: Auto 1

Dolby Digital Plus Output: Dolby Digital Plus

Pass Through Mode: Auto

Set the Blu-ray player to these settings:

Digital Audio Output: Auto

DSD Output Mode: Auto

BD Secondary Audio: Off

Super Audio CD Playback Layer: Super Audio CD

Super Audio CD Playback Channel: DSD Multi

Thanks very much, GuitarSuperstar. I tried your suggestion re settings, but without success, unfortunately. 

Are you able to play the SACDs through the TV with the ARC disconnected?

Yes. But the sound is not as good as that produced by the Arc, obviously. 

Deleted….misunderstood the comment. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

I’d guess you are going to have to dig in the TV documents to see what it does with the SACD signal. Both how it is switched.sent internally plus any format changes.

Maybe a look at the SACD manual to see what format it outputs in CD and SACD modes.

Might be fun to plug the SACD into the ARC directly and see what happens. Use the Sonos HDMI cable.

Plugging directly into the Arc wouldn’t work, unless the SACD player is putting out an HDMI ARC signal. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Isn’t the HDMI-ARC only needed for Atmos? (No.)

Looking further...

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/supported-home-theater-audio-formats

• Dolby Atmos*
  • Dolby TrueHD*
  • Dolby Atmos (True HD)*
  • Multichannel PCM*
  • Dolby Multichannel PCM*

*Requires an eARC connection

------

No ARC:

• Stereo PCM
  • Dolby Digital
  • DTS (S2 only)
  • Dolby Digital Plus
  • Dolby Atmos (Dolby Digital Plus)

No. The receiving port in any Sonos is an ARC connection, it is looking for data only on the ARC pin outs. Try it yourself.