Answered

Playbase - Unable to Connect to TV

• 10 February 2018
  • 2 replies

Badge +1
I just purchased a Sonos Playbase.
I followed the directions for setup without success.
Initially it would not connect to my wireless network so I moved the router adjacent to the box and hardwired it.
The playbase downloaded an update and registered the product.
Now it was time to connect to the TV. With the Optical cable connected, I had to disconnect the router so I could connect the cable to the Comcast TV box. (the router is supplied by Comcast and requires a coaxial connection).
The playbase would not connect to the TV and now only shows a white light.
I tried to perform a reset by unplugging power then plugging in while holding down the play/pause button with no change.
At this point I do not know what to do.
Sound and Vision really talked the playbase up.

Any ideas on a path forward would be appreciated.

Chris
icon

Best answer by ChrisHz 10 February 2018, 22:57

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

Badge +1
After some thought, I finally figured out how to reset the Playbase. Once reset, I hardwired it to my LAN via an adjacent rooms coax connection thus was able to have signal to both the LAN and TV simultaneously.
I then followed the directions provided via the Sonos app downloaed onto my iPhone, never disconnecting the Playbase from the hardwired LAN. During this process, the Playbase created a network with an SSID of "Sonos". The app directed me to connect the iPhone to this network. I then completed the balance of the setup including connecting to my LAN,
the optical output of my TV and running True Play.

The Playbase is now fully functional and sounds great. Sound and Vision is dead on the money about this device.

I do have one question. When I turn the TV off, the white light on the top of the Playbase stays on. Does the Playbase turn off on its own after a period of time or do I need to do something else?

Chris
It should go into low power mode at some point. I'm not sure how long that is, but it should do that. The length of time is not exposed to the user as an option. It does not turn off, though, so that it can be triggered the next time it gets a signal. None of the Sonos products actually turn off, they all go in to various levels of low power. It's the nature of a wifi system, it has to be somewhat awake to listen for the next signal.