Answered

Playbase Connectivity

• 30 March 2024
  • 8 replies

Can a Playbase be connected to a DVD/CD player AND a TV at the same time?

icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 31 March 2024, 17:16

View original

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

No, not without something like an optical switch. Because it only has one optical “in”. What do you want to achieve?

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

If you plug the DVD player into the TV, sure.

I simply want to play DVDs/CDs through the Playbase, which is connected to the TV using the Optical audio connection. Seems a shame to get rid of our collection,which is redundant right now,and its frustrating not being able to play music/movies when we want to without resorting to streaming.

I guess I could connect a DVD/CD player to the TV using one of the HDMI ports but I imagine sound through the Playbase would not function unless I disconnected the Optical connection and used one of the HDMI ports on the Playbase instead.

Thanks for your feedback guys.

No, if the PLAYBASE remains connected to the TV, and the TV set is powered on, any HDMI input chosen on the TV (I.e. the CD/DVD player) will be sent to the PLAYBASE. The only issue you could run in to is when the output of the DVD player exceeds a Dolby Digital signal. The optical cable can carry DTS or Atmos, just Dolby Digital and stereo, due to bandwidth issues. 

There are no HDMI ports on a PLAYBASE. It needs to be connected, ostensibly to the TV set, via optical. 

Of course, I forgot the PLAYBASE does not have HDMI ports!.

Actually,come to think of it: I already have the OPTICAL AUDIO port on the Playbase connected to another device,in addition to the TV, via a OPTICAL AUDIO splitter connector. If I can find a DVD/ CD player with an OPTICAL AUDIO port that may be a solution,if there is such a thing. Were you saying the Playbase can only handle Dolby Digital and stereo or DTS and ATMOS. 

Cheers

Yes, an optical switch would certainly work, although I’m not sure how that helps the DVD side of the player, which should normally be connected to the TV via HDMI. 

The PLAYBASE can only handle stereo and Dolby Digital, due to the bandwidth restrictions of optical connections. 

Of course, I forgot the PLAYBASE does not have HDMI ports!.

Actually,come to think of it: I already have the OPTICAL AUDIO port on the Playbase connected to another device,in addition to the TV, via a OPTICAL AUDIO splitter connector. If I can find a DVD/ CD player with an OPTICAL AUDIO port that may be a solution,if there is such a thing. Were you saying the Playbase can only handle Dolby Digital and stereo or DTS and ATMOS. 

Cheers

Why would you need to connect to an optical port on the DVD/CD player?  Trust me, you are making this way too complicated.  Connect the DVD/CD player to the TV via HDMI, and the TV is already connected to the Playbase via optical.  Audio/video goes in via HDMI and audio goes out via optical to the Playbase. That’s it.  Done. 

It certainly feels too complicated that's for sure.

DVD/CD to TV via HDMI in the way you describe sounds simple, yet brilliant 👏. 

I'm going to give that a go

Many thanks 😊