Skip to main content
Answered

PLAYBASE + 2 x play one (gen2))

• 25 May 2021
  • 9 replies

I have a playbase with 2 x play one (gen1) setup but i want to change the play one (gen1) speakers to play one (gen2) speakers. 

I want to know if the playbase and play one (gen2) are compatible with each other before i buy the speakers

i also want to know if i can then set up the old play one (gen1) speakers to use in another room without connecting to a playbase

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

9 replies

Userlevel 7

The Sonos One (Gen 2) is compatible with the Playbase.

The Sonos One (Gen 1) can be set up in another room and play on its own without the Playbase, but you also have the option to group the One with the Playbase to play the same audio on both speakers.

Just curious… why do you want to replace the Gen 1 with the Gen 2? They are essentially the same speaker. Do you mean you want to replace the Play:1 with a One?

For reference:

Could you clarify which speakers you’re speaking about? There is only one generation of the Sonos PLAY:1. The next ‘gen’ is the Sonos One, which also comes both as a Sonos One and a Sonos One SL. While they are both compatible with the PLAYBASE, they’re not compatible with each other for the purposes of creating a stereo pair or a set of surround speakers, so you wouldn’t be able to upgrade one, and then at a later time the other, if the intention is to keep them as surrounds. You’d need to do both simultaneously. 

Why do you want to update these speakers? When used as surrounds, there is effectively no functional difference. Any difference you could benefit from only come when they’re set up as non-surround speakers, I.e. when the voice assistant feature is enabled. 

Badge

Sorry to both of you who have replied it is my mistake so i will tell you what i have and what i want

I have:

2 - sonos play1 speakers

1 - sonos playbase

My TV in the same room runs through the above

i want to replace my sonos play1 speakers with the sonos one (gen2) speakers if they are compatible with the playbase

If the above is compatible, i then want to put the sonos play1 speakers in a bedroom to use with a tv there if this can be done without connecting to the playbase

BASICALLY MY HUBBY HAS BOUGHT A NEW TV FOR ANOTHER ROOM AND WANTS SONOS SPEAKERS FOR IT TO GET SURROUND SOUND. I HAVE SEEN THE SONOS ARC AND SONOS BEAM BUT I DONT KNOW IF THEY WOULD BE BETTER THAN TWO SONOS PLAY1 SPEAKERS.

I DON’T THINK HE WILL GET SURROUND SOUND WITHOUT THE PLAYBASE.

AM I RIGHT IN THINKING THE SONOS PLAY1 SPEAKERS WILL JUST BE STAND ALONE SPEAKERS THAT THE TV CANNOT CONNECT TO AS I DONT THINK THEY HAVE BLUETOOTH CONNECTIVITY

sorry if i am confusing you

Userlevel 7

Are the Play:1s connected to the Playbase as rear surround speakers? If so, I would just keep the Play:1s where they are because there is really no improvement in sound or performance between the Play:1 and One as surround speakers.

Rather than getting two Ones for the TV in the bedroom, get a Sonos home theater speaker like the Arc or Beam instead. The Ones are music speakers not intended to be used as TV speakers (other than surround speakers). Then if you want to add surrounds to your bedroom in the future, you can add a pair of One SLs to the Arc or Beam.

Badge

GuitarSuperstar

Thank you so much for understanding what i wanted and the advice. I will keep my setup in my living room as it is - playbase + 2 x play1s

If my hubby wants the surround sound then probably would buy Sonos Arc + a pair of Sonos One SLS. Is that the way to go

Userlevel 7

GuitarSuperstar

Thank you so much for understanding what i wanted and the advice. I will keep my setup in my living room as it is - playbase + 2 x play1s

If my hubby wants the surround sound then probably would buy Sonos Arc + a pair of Sonos One SLS. Is that the way to go

Yes, a Sonos Arc or Beam and a pair of One SLs would be the way to go. If you want the best home theater experience from your Sonos speakers, you could also add a Sonos Sub to either setup.

Badge

Thank you so much. One last question

can two different sonos system setups be used on the same interner network

my system setup on my network controlled on my iphone via sonos app

my hubby’s system setup on same network controlled on his iphone via different sonos account on sonos app

Yes, multiple house holds can coexist on the same wifi network.  As can multiple S1 and S2 systems.

Your “hubby’s” system should connect with his iPhone, your system should connect with your controller. 

Badge

Thank you very much,all the help and advice is much appreciated 👍🏻